Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

breastfeeding help please!! if you know ANYTHING about breastfeeding please open. UPDATE...UPDATE..UPDATE

morning ladies!!

i had my babygirl on friday the 1st and an hour after she was born i started breastfeeding her. She took to it immediatly and i started breastfeeding her on demand since then ( every couples of hours for about 40 minutes sometimes over an hour). I wanted to make sure i was doing it right and ask to see a lactation consultant and was told that because it was the 4th of July weekend, no lactation consultant was available and i had to rely on my nurses who really didn't help much besides telling me that to their knowledge i was doing a good job. Well fast forward 3 days and i'm now home with baby but my nipples are so sore that it hurts to lift my shirt so i had my SO go to the store and get me some formula for the day so i can let them heal. i'm almost depressed by this but it hurts so bad i couldn't even push through the pain i was in tears. My question is will i dry up and fail breastfeeding because of giving her formula for 24 hours and how can i make sure i succeed breastfeeing her because that's really what i want to do. PLEASE HELP ME, I DON'T WANT TO FAIL HER!!

UPDATE

I THINK WE FINALLY GOT IT! :) I PUMPED FOR THE NEXT 24 HOUR JUST TO WAIT FOR MY NIPPLES TO HEAL BECAUSE THEY WERE IN ROUGH SHAPE AND THEN I PUT HER BACK ON THE BREAST. IT DIDN'T SEEM TO CONFUSE HER THAT MUCH. IT STILL HURTS FOR THE FIRST MINUTE OR SO AND THEN IT'S JUST PRESSURE FROM HER SUCKING BUT I THINK THAT'S NORMAL (@ LEAST I HOPE LOL). SHE'S HAPPY AND HEALTHY SO FAR AND SHE PEES AND POOPS LIKE A CHAMP. (IT'S BRIGHT GREEN/YELLOW WITH WHAT LOOKS LIKE SEEDS IN IT AND THE DOC SAID THAT WAS PERFECTLY FINE). I'LL KEEP THIS UP AND HOPEFULLY IT WON'T HURT @ ALL ANYMORE SOON. I WANTED TO THANK YOU LADIES FOR BEING SO HELPFUL AND FOR MAKING ME FEEL LIKE I WAS CAPABLE OF DOING IT. U LADIES ARE THE BEST!!

ps: I STILL PUMP TWICE A DAY FOR WHEN WE'RE OUT AND ABOUT BECAUSE I HAVE NOT MASTERED NIP YET AND I'M NOT HIDING IN THE BATHROOMS TO FEED HER. BUT SINCE SHE'S ON MY BREAST LIKE 10 TIMES A DAY I DON'T THINK IT WILL HURT. THAT IS ALL FOR NOW. THANKS AGAIN!!

by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 8:49 AM
Replies (41-50):
mombloggerJ
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Quoting ecagle:

Quoting mombloggerJ:

Quoting gdiamante:

While I generally don't liek sheilds, I'm in agreement with ecagle here. They are for wounded nipples, and you're wounded.

No pump,. no bottle.s It will only make things worse as far as latch. If anything will lead you to what you're considering failure, it's the bottles. They really need to be put away.

I defer to gdiamante on this one. . .but I still think you should try breast shells/air dry/lanolin and watching the latch for 24 hours before resorting to a nipple shield. JMO

I get what you are saying and my mom felt similarly because my SIL's baby ended up addicted to the shield.  I think it should be seen as a temporary solution.  However, if a mother is at the point where she's in so much pain that she is refusing to nurse and only wants to give a bottle, the shield is the better option.  One day on the shield is better than one day at the bottle.

Tomorrow she should see a LC to see if there are any underlying issues and getting help with the latch, but for one day, the shield is the better option than the bottle.

I agree it's a better option than the bottle. Good that you clarified about limited use.  If she's not going to keep nursing and trying to work through the soreness, a shield is definitely better than bottle feeding. . .we are all affected by our experiences and I admit my SIL's experience has jaded me a bit against the shield. . .but there was no LC involved in her situation and I agree that OP should talk to an LC as soon as possible. =)

ApachePunk
by Member on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM

For your nipples to be that sore it means your baby must have a bad latch. Soreness happens at first, but not that much. Get some lanonlin and let your nipples air dry after nursing...but get that baby on your breast! Get rid of the forumula, get rid of the bottles, and nurse. It hurts..it sucks..I know it does...but artificial nipples will make it harder to get her to nurse. Do you know any midwives? Many are LCs and perhaps one would come help you on a holiday? Call the La Leche League? Do you have any friends that breastfeed that can come help you? Heck, where do you live? I'll come if you're in my town! (and I'm serious about that). You need that baby on the breast.

Jack Newman's visual guide to breastfeeding would be very helpful....SEEING a good latch helps a lot with getting your baby to latch on well.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/index.php

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=videos

watch ALL the videos, read the descriptions, find what your problem is and use the videos to help fix it

from the website

"This baby is eight weeks old and is doing almost no drinking, though very occasionally one sees a short pause in the baby's chin. A baby who breastfeeds only with this type of sucking could stay on the breast for hours and still not get enough milk. Something needs to be done here and if achieving a better latch, using compression doesn’t help, the baby almost certainly needs to be supplemented. The best way to supplement the baby is with a lactation aid at the breast. Why?

1. Babies learn to

breastfeed by breastfeeding
2. Mothers learn to breastfeed by breastfeeding
3. The baby continues breastfeeding and thus continues getting milk from the breast and thus increases the mother's milk production
4. The baby is not likely to refuse to latch on
5. There is much more to breastfeeding than breastmilk, as important as the breastmilk is

See the video clip "Inserting a Lactation Aid"

Babie's R Us may have this type of lactation aids. Getting one and putting pumped breast milk in it will help your baby get full

but keep your baby at the breast, which will help your baby learn, it will help you learn, it will give the

baby breast milk and it will keep away artificial nipples.

ApachePunk
by Member on Jul. 4, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I've had to use nipple shields for both of mine, for the first few months, but because I have flat nipples, not because of bad latches or anything. For me, they're life savers, because my babies can't eat without them at first. For you, I would try everything to correct your latch, get some in person help, watch those videos, etc, and then if nothing works, go for the nipple shield instead of the bottle.

ecagle
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Quoting mombloggerJ:

Quoting ecagle:

Quoting mombloggerJ:

Quoting gdiamante:

While I generally don't liek sheilds, I'm in agreement with ecagle here. They are for wounded nipples, and you're wounded.

No pump,. no bottle.s It will only make things worse as far as latch. If anything will lead you to what you're considering failure, it's the bottles. They really need to be put away.

I defer to gdiamante on this one. . .but I still think you should try breast shells/air dry/lanolin and watching the latch for 24 hours before resorting to a nipple shield. JMO

I get what you are saying and my mom felt similarly because my SIL's baby ended up addicted to the shield.  I think it should be seen as a temporary solution.  However, if a mother is at the point where she's in so much pain that she is refusing to nurse and only wants to give a bottle, the shield is the better option.  One day on the shield is better than one day at the bottle.

Tomorrow she should see a LC to see if there are any underlying issues and getting help with the latch, but for one day, the shield is the better option than the bottle.

I agree it's a better option than the bottle. Good that you clarified about limited use.  If she's not going to keep nursing and trying to work through the soreness, a shield is definitely better than bottle feeding. . .we are all affected by our experiences and I admit my SIL's experience has jaded me a bit against the shield. . .but there was no LC involved in her situation and I agree that OP should talk to an LC as soon as possible. =)

I am perhaps less jaded about the shield as I was straight breast until our LC came to our house (and we knew she would as our pediatrician won't see babies for the first 2 weeks and has the LC come to our our for weight gains the first 2 weeks as needed)....she spent 2+ hours with us, examining his mouth for tongue tie etc. in trying to figure out his latch and then she came weekly until we had him weaned from it (at a month).  She actually ended up leaving the house and bringing me the shield and showing me how to use it...plus different finger techniques while not feeding to teach him not to tongue thrust.  All in all, we have a great nursing relationship now sans shield, so I did have a positive experience ;)

Anyways, I do think the shield needs to be used under guidance of a LC and then as a last resort.  However, I also think anything that keeps baby at breast when a mother is at the point of giving up is an awesome resource ;) 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

luna321
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I feel for you as far as the pain goes. My nipples were in rough shape for about 7 weeks. The bottom of both looked like a kids skinned knee and would stick to the nursing pads. You should see a lactation consultant to make sure your latch is okay and check to see if your LO is tongue tide. Its normal to have sore nipples the first couple of days but anything too painful or for much longer and there might be a problem. In my case I had crazy over active let down and a very vigorous nursling. It worked its self out and me pumping only made it worse. It was painful at the time but to be honest I barley remember it now and love me and LO nursing relationship now. I am so glad I stuck through it and would do it again in a heart beat. He is now 7 months old. I would throw away the formula RIGHT NOW! and again see a lactation consultant ASAP. I have never used a shield (though it might have helped) so I can't give advice for or against it. Good luck! You can do it!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 4, 2011 at 1:57 PM

**sigh** Once again we see the reason for needing the national nurse-in in October... the nurse gave you advice that did leasd to your mastitis. Time at the breast is never to be limited. She should have checked your latch, not told you to time.

Quoting mamatel:

I had the same problem with my first. I let him nurse for 20 -30 minutes at first. The nurse came in and told me that I should only nurse for like 10 minutes at a time. Well I wish I would have listened because I got sooo sore! It was very painful. But luckily I still nursed him through the pain. I even got a breast infection a few weeks later. I had to take antibiotics, and was told to nurse even more because nursing helps get rid of the infection!

The pain is only temporary. You can do it! Get rid of those bottles if you are serious about breastfeeding.

manda-nicole010
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 2:05 PM

It can really mess it up... this early one you now face her not wanting to latch to you. You can do a couple different things... You can use lansinoh cream for comfort... you can take her to a pedi to check on a tongue tie and see if that helps... and this is what doctors (all of them) told me...

A baby should only be on each breast for 15 minutes. Alternate.

Good luck.

manda-nicole010
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I was told this same thing by nurses AND doctors. And it isn't ten minutes and then stop... its ten minutes and then switch breast and then ten minutes and switch breast and just keep switching (every ten to fifteen is what I was told) until baby is full.

Quoting gdiamante:

**sigh** Once again we see the reason for needing the national nurse-in in October... the nurse gave you advice that did leasd to your mastitis. Time at the breast is never to be limited. She should have checked your latch, not told you to time.

Quoting mamatel:

I had the same problem with my first. I let him nurse for 20 -30 minutes at first. The nurse came in and told me that I should only nurse for like 10 minutes at a time. Well I wish I would have listened because I got sooo sore! It was very painful. But luckily I still nursed him through the pain. I even got a breast infection a few weeks later. I had to take antibiotics, and was told to nurse even more because nursing helps get rid of the infection!

The pain is only temporary. You can do it! Get rid of those bottles if you are serious about breastfeeding.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM
The problem is that it is INCORRECT INFORMATION! Those doctors and nurses are wrong and not educated in human lactation.

Quoting manda-nicole010:

I was told this same thing by nurses AND doctors. And it isn't ten minutes and then stop... its ten minutes and then switch breast and then ten minutes and switch breast and just keep switching (every ten to fifteen is what I was told) until baby is full.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting mamatel:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 4, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Quoting manda-nicole010:

The info is still wrong, sadly.

Medical professionals are supposed to know better but generally they do not. No timing, at all. Breast one till baby comes off on her own. Repeat on breast two. Repeat on breast one as needed.

Please understand, you are not being blamed here. Your professionals are, because they're suppoed to know better. The advice you were given is a common cause of mastitis. And that's just what happened to you.

Consider: If a dentist refused to treat a cavity that was causing you pain, and that cavity eventually led to an abcess, you'd be reporting that dentist for poor care. Yet for some reason we allow doctors to provide equally poor information to new mothers, because no one has told these mothers that they're being mis-treated (as in malpractice).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)