Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nipple Shells

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:48 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have a somewhat flat nipple on one side and a somewhat inverted one on the other side and the lactation consultant (IBCLC) at the hospital gave me a nipple shield.  I was using that with no problems and asked a question about it and found out I should be trying to not use the shield so much because I could get supply issues (which hasn't happened, I have been using it almost exclusively for this whole time).  

Anyways I got the Modela Nipple Shells to help them come out farther, but they don't really do anything?  I wore them all day yesterday and it kinda helps on the right side (flat, but not too bad, with the "sandwich hold" she latches pretty well she just like doesn't get enough nipple in her mouth.) but on the left side (inverted) it doesn't make much of a difference at all.  I can get her latched without much problem, but keeping her latched it another thing.  It's like the suction works for a little bit then she accidentally pops off and then I have to do the whole "sandwich" thing again.  That pisses her off and makes it more difficult though.  

Ok so enough background, I'm wondering if I need to give the nipple shells more time to pull them out, or maybe if there is something else that will make a bigger difference.  Or just continue with the shield and skip the shells all together.  

I am a stay at home Mom so I don't care how much work it is, I just want it to be a pleasant experience for her.  I feel bad when she gets pissed and has her eating time interrupted so frequently by my inadequate nipples.  

Thanks for reading and for your advice.  :)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mama02040608
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:56 AM
Wearing the shells consistently should break up the tissue that is inverting that nipple. Pumping that nipple can help as well. You kind of have to do it for more than one day, though :)
They're not magic ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzysMommy0326
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:31 AM
I exclusively use a nipple shield every time I nurse. I've used it from when my dd was a few days old and she's now just over 3 months. I've never had supply issues. But I also went back to work so I have to pump 3 times a day. I've tried to wean off the nipple shield but she wouldn't latch good without it. I say if using it all the time works for you then go ahead and keep using it. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaSiete
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I used them for both of mine until DS was around 2-3 months old and they are not good to use! For many reasons really.

The longer you use them the more your baby is going to get used to them, and weaning from them is a B*TCH!! Lol. They are more like bottle nipples than anything. My nipples are completely flat and somewhat inverted, it IS possible to nurse just fine like that - so yeah, I would start weaning and using them less and less if I were you. And they can and will lower your supply.

MommaSiete
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Oh and to add lol, I have never found anything to work with my nipples except straight up breastfeeding. We're going on two years and I for sure notice a big different. They are no longer inverted, but flat at times, a majority of the time though they are 'normal'. So it helps to just breastfeed Iguess lol.

ardiaxe
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM
I used one long term and it definitely affected how much bm my daughter was able to take in. She had to work very hard and nursing sessions were very long for her to get enough. I started pumping after every feed to get an oversupply so that milk poured out faster through the shield. Try to wean off of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I am guessing Mommasiete meant shields as opposed to shells...

I found shells VERY helpful, but it does take time.

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Breast shells need a little time to work by loosening the adhesions. 

Crunchy Moms ~ Lactivist ~ Natural Family Planning
                              ♥♥♥♥ Join me in some of these great groups ♥♥♥

Bubbles_mommy
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:27 PM
I used the nipple shell too recently since I gave birth two weeks ago. The nurse warn me not to use it too much. I used it for like two days at the hospital. And I use without it with no problems. It takes time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)