Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will he still nurse after 2 weeks of bottles?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:13 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am BF my son (adopted) he's only been nursing about 5 weeks now. He's 7 months old, and we are taking an unexpected trip. Will he pick up where he left off. I can't take all the lactaid stuff with me to make up my nursing supplementer. He won't take the boob without it anyway, I've tried. Will a 2 week break hurt anything?

PS I am also taking domperidone, but I don't have any milk that I can tell.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Honestly, I would bring SOMETHING with me that would allow for continued BF. 2 weeks is a long time for a kid who was used to bottles and has only been nursing for a month. I would be even more reticent since you say he won't latch without the lactaid as a dangling carrot. Maybe get a starter sns or make your own supplementer for the trip?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I am just curious why you can't take the lactaid stuff but you can take a bunch of bottles.  Does the lactaid stuff take up that much more space??

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Quoting mollysmom328:

I am just curious why you can't take the lactaid stuff but you can take a bunch of bottles.  Does the lactaid stuff take up that much more space??

00momma00
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM

With all of the stuff it does take up quite a bit of space. To filter milk and refridgerate it, also takes a lot of time. I don't know how I would do this in and out of motels and with little to no constant refridgeration. I'm sad, this is sucking.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting mollysmom328:

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I'm not worried about him. YOU are the bigger concern. If you're not able to keep up the routine you have been, you may well undo all the work you've done thus far.

00momma00
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I can't seem to explain well enough, but HOW would I keep up the routine? Maybe I'll just quit then.

Quoting gdiamante:

I'm not worried about him. YOU are the bigger concern. If you're not able to keep up the routine you have been, you may well undo all the work you've done thus far.

00momma00
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:58 PM

bump

RozyMama
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Nobody is telling you to quit, just answering your question -- it will be a setback for you both, most likely, if you cannot continue the routine of him breastfeeding and you promoting lactation.  It would be best if you could try to do as much as possible the same as you would at home -- when you can -- and save bottles for a last resort when the situation simply doesn't allow it.  If you have to do only bottles while you're gone, yeah it will probably be a setback for both of you but if he was able to pick it up after 5 months, chances are he will pick it up after 2 weeks. 

kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:44 AM
Can you take your pump, at least? If so, pump like crazy while you are gone so you keep your breasts stimulated. Give that milk in the bottles, if you get anything. Let him latch on without the nursing aid, but do this after he's had some milk (whether it's bm or formula). That would be the most important thing -- to keep your breasts stimulated as often as possible. Wear your baby and let him at your breast as often as possible. No one will know you're trying to nurse him. Pump every two hours during the day, and every 3-4 at night (or as often as your schedule allows. Again. Most important thing is to keep your breasts stimulated. Don't give up!! You've come so far already!! You are doing an amazing job!! Keep up the good work!! Have you read maggiemom's story yet? If not, you should!! Maybe it will help inspire you to continue!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
00momma00
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I guess I should get a pump then. I have read maggiemom's story and it is inspiring. I never thought about wearing him more. I will give that a try too! You have been very encouraging, thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)