Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nystatin did NOTHING!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM
  • 19 Replies
I took dd to the pedi for a very, VERY minor case of thrush, and I have yet to get it. He told me to put 2 ml's in each cheek 4x a day and put a little on me w/ a q-tip. I used the whole bottle on her and used vinegar water on me, and its still there. Like I said its so minor just on the inside of each cheek that even when combined doesn't equal the size of a dime. I'm cleaning/sterilizing everything multiple times now, still using the vinegar water on me, but what do I do for dd? We have another appt Mon for our 4 month well visit, but why try something again that didn't work the first time? What do I do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM

gentian violet

I am a big cheerleader for gentian violet. Cured us up in 4 days. Look it up on kellymom.com. I had a miserable time locating a pharmacy that had it, and actually the one that did didn't even know they had it. It cost me like $4, and looked like an iodine bottle. Messy, but it worked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlHC
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM
How do I apply it? My LC mentioned it, but also said it was hard to find here, but she too thought the rx would work since it was so minor. Is the stain hard to get off?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM
You did a atop in the bottle, paint it in the baby's mouth and on your nipples. Kellymom has details. If you put some Aquaphor or Lansinoh on the baby's skin before you use it, they hopefully won't get too purple. We had to pitch a few onsies, but otherwise the purple wore off in a couple days. A small price to pay for quick relief. Call all your local pharmacies before you head out. I think LCs should carry it and sell it like street drugs, it can be so hard to find. More and more people are using it because Nystatin is becoming less efficient bc of stubborn strains of yeast, so I think it will get a little easier to find.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlHC
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM
Thank you SO much! I wil def be looking for it today!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ameliasmama1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM
This and good probiotics for both of you. The ones in the fridge are the best.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

gentian violet

I am a big cheerleader for gentian violet. Cured us up in 4 days. Look it up on kellymom.com. I had a miserable time locating a pharmacy that had it, and actually the one that did didn't even know they had it. It cost me like $4, and looked like an iodine bottle. Messy, but it worked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlHC
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM
What do you mean probiotic? Sorry, 1st time mama and bfer here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ameliasmama1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM
Oh and do it ouside...I spilled some on our carpet and it won't come out o.O
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM

You can find probiotics at the heralth food and drug store, just like the GV. I know we've had quite a bit posted on proper use so search the group for probiotics (not my forte).

I'm not at all surprised the nystatin did nothing... it often makes it worse.

Dabberdoo
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I'm going to look for the GV because I've been fighting yeast on my breasts fr 4 months now.  I've had 3 rounds of oral Diflucan but my pediatrician wouldn't treat my son until he had thrush.  He FINALLY got it.  I'm using Nystatin on his mouth and Nystatin cream on my breasts but it still isn't completely clearing up.  VERY frustrating.  Every time I think its gone, the next day my nipple will be pink and sore again.

Follow my blog, Kelly's Kapers, and read about my journey to my first 5K, a more "natural" way of living and the crazy things that happen in a home with 6 children!

EmmaEllie
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:05 PM

<3 Gentian Violet!!! Most Walgreens carry it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)