Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giving baby fiber???

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM
  • 14 Replies
We had our 9 month appointment yesterday. I told the doctor the trouble we've had with constipation (everything but breastmilk makes him constipated). She recommended giving him a couple ounces of water a day, which I had already tried. She also recommended putting powder fiber in his food (1 tsp per day). Is this ok? Is it safe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjp2707
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Is it true constipation. Hard dry pellets bloated belly inability to pass gas. Fortunatly solids are not needed at all until one year of age so maybe your lo digestive tract just isn't ready yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyandMama45
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:06 PM
Yes, true constipation. Small, hard, bloody pellets. His face turns bright red as he grunts. He screams while he is trying. And he can push and grunt for days before he even gets out a tiny hard pellet. And I know that he doesn't need anything other than breastmilk, but we've taken it very slowly and he is so ready and wants it so bad. He cries when we eat in front of him. I don't know what to do. He wants it, but his body isn't handling it. But the pedi says it's perfectly ok to give him fiber (like benifiber
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommawhite08
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:14 PM
I don't know if it's safe but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. I'm not sure what solids u r giving but maybe try less solid solids, lol, like watermelon, avocado, jello ect. I know of adults who that fiber really upsets their system so if u do it I would start by just sprinkling a tiny bit on the solids. Good luck!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Is this a reaction to ALL solids or particular ones?  What solids have you given? Do you nurse before every bite of solids? I personally would not add fiber powder just me though

ardiaxe
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Fiber can make it worse since it needs plenty of water to work. My son struggled with constipation. Instead of fiber, try a probiotic/prebiotic mix called children's primadophilus. It has a natural indigestible sugar in it that draws water into the bowel naturally and makes poop significantly softer.
MommyandMama45
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Is this a reaction to ALL solids or particular ones?  What solids have you given? Do you nurse before every bite of solids? I personally would not add fiber powder just me though

Everything except peas. Even fruits. And nurse before every bite? No, I nurse before he eats solids, but not every bite.

MommyandMama45
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Quoting ardiaxe:

Fiber can make it worse since it needs plenty of water to work. My son struggled with constipation. Instead of fiber, try a probiotic/prebiotic mix called children's primadophilus. It has a natural indigestible sugar in it that draws water into the bowel naturally and makes poop significantly softer.

They already put him on a probiotic, called Kyo-Dophilus. I feel like I should just not give him any solids, instead of fiber, but I feel so bad for him since it's obvious that he wants it so badly.

MommyandMama45
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Is there anything I can give him to satisfy his "want" to eat, but won't cause constipation? Someone mentioned watermelon, avocado, jello...are these things what I should try?

starbucjo
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I wouldn't do fiber.  Try pears, prunes, barley cereal, add flax to whatever he eats. . . . You could also try a tummy massage and warm bath when he seems to be straining. 

PoetryRavn
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM

breastmilk slushy! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)