Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 year old wants to nurse now :-/

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM
  • 7 Replies

I already breastfed this boy for 23 months! He is 5 1/2 years old now. I am 9 months pregnant with my second. He is very excited about the baby. He knows that the baby will drink milk from my breast. He tells me that HE wants to drink my milk too.

I told him no, he is a big boy now, etc etc. So the other night we were sitting on the couch, he was cuddling with me, and I felt him put his mouth on me oh so gently but still with all my hormones I almost felt the let down coming even though my milk isnt in yet. I made him stop. I was so surprised he would even try, like I wouldn't notice????

Has anyone gone through this before? What did you do?

Pregnancy%20ticker

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LaurenGreen
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I never nursed my 2.5 year old, but when she sees me nursing her 3 month old sister, she often asks. I've let her try, but then she chickens out and won't try to latch. I have given her pumped milk though, and she likes it.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Often if you let them try once, they look at you funny and never try again. They want it because you're saying no.

It's perfectly acceptable to say no or to say yes. Whatever YOU want to do is fine.

deccaf
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Pumped milk would also be perfectly fine for him.  He would still get the benefit of the antibodies, etc. and maybe wouldn't feel left out.

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:27 PM
I fully expect my 4 year old to want to try when his little brother gets here. I may let him try cause I don't think that he will remember how. Although he still phantom nurses in his sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleDanelle
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:08 PM
May be part of the regression thing too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fightclmembr
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM
This! My four year old was the same way. So I let him once, and he decided its for his baby brother only! Though is still talks about how much he loved nursing by the pool as a baby!

Quoting gdiamante:

Often if you let them try once, they look at you funny and never try again. They want it because you're saying no.

It's perfectly acceptable to say no or to say yes. Whatever YOU want to do is fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamatel
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I know my DH would give me crap if I did let my 5 year old "try it". Part of me misses nursing him bc I did enjoy it. My son is very outgoing, he will go up to strangers and tell them his whole life story and try to make friends with everyone. So I know if I let him try it, he will tell someone, and I know I'd feel embarrassed.

I think if he still is asking after my milk comes in, I'll put some in a cup and let him try it that way. I didn't think of doing that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)