Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing and solids after 1 year

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM
  • 5 Replies

Are there any developmental cues that indicate when solids need to comprise more of a toddler's diet? Or is strictly an age thing?

I'm way past this point myself, but I'm curious. :) I know there are developmental cues to look for when starting a baby on solids--like sitting up, using the pincer grasp, loss of the tongue thrust reflex, etc.--but all I ever hear about when solids are necessary is after the first birthday. So I'm wondering if it really does have to do only with age, or if there are other physical/developmental things to look for before cutting back on the breast, like walking or something.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
cranberry106
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:02 PM
I think you can't go wrong if you follow baby's cues. Offer solids several times a day, continue offering to nurse, and let baby decide how much or how often of each. Some days baby might want more solids and less milk, other days more milk and less solids. Unless there's a health problem just leave it up to baby! They'll start eating more solids and taking in less milk when they're ready. Makes it so much easier that way :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I let my guy take the lead, I offer the breast if its been a while but bascially hes asking alot lately.  I give solids and he eats what he wants when we have meals.  Its all led by him, he is in charge of amounts of nursing and amounts of solids basically.

stellarluna
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:12 PM

there is never a time when it's necessary to cut back on the breast first off
breast is number one until we're done my dd is 15 months old and still primarily boob fed because that's her preference right now.
look up baby led weaning (not weaning from the breast) on wholesomebabyfoods.com for more info on what the other moms are talking about 

CuSukha
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I definitely just let the baby lead the way. DD didn't even remotely start eating meals until 18 months.

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Quoting CuSukha: I definitely just let the baby lead the way. DD didn't even remotely start eating meals until 18 months.

Crunchy Moms ~ Lactivist ~ Natural Family Planning
                              ♥♥♥♥ Join me in some of these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)