Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you suggest?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM
  • 11 Replies

DS seems to have all the signs of reflux. Spitting up (though not a ton or projectile) gagging, coughing, constant stuffy nose, hiccups that always start out with spit up. Can't lay him flat after nursing....VERY frequent nurser. Not the most content baby i've seen. However, I seem to show all the signs of forceful letdown/oversupply except that I dont feel like I have an oversupply. Forceful letdown, yes. Do the two always go hand-in-hand?

I did block feeding for awhile and didnt notice much. I absolutely have to recline back to feed him or he chokes. It's worse in the morning of course after he has slept a long stretch of 4-5 hours and I become a little engorged so I will pump a little just so it won't be as bad. Throughout the day is better but he still has the above problems.

I haven't taken him to the pedi about it yet because she will probably prescribe Zantac. I just wonder if there is anything else to try before that. I dont want him on any  medication unless he absolutely has to be. I also don't want him hurting from the problems we are having.

He is 2.5 months, EBF.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
forgetmenotcj
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:40 PM
Im curious too. Your situation is exactly the same as mine. My DS is one month old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:37 PM
You don't HAVE to have an oversupply to have a forceful letdown, but the two do go hand in hand often. Do as you have been, you can also nurse until you let down, pull him off, and let down into a towel or burp cloth. Latch him back on after the flood has passed. This is what I did with my kids (had no idea about reclining then).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM
If your baby is exhibiting signs of reflux, it would do you good to try the blockfeeding again, at least offering only one breast per feeding. Combining the two strategies will help you see if indeed there is a medical issue as opposed to a "drowning in love" issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

My daughter is similair with the hiccups that make her spit up and gag/cough.  She usually swallows it back down so there's no actual spit up.  She's gaining weight and not bothered by it at all so I don't think anything of it.  Is there reason to be concerned or is it only if it bothers baby?

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Oversupply and forceful letdown can be found together but are not always.

PhotogMom405
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:11 PM

See I feel like almost every letdown is that way. I'm not sure what to do. I'll try the blockfeeding and everything again and see what happens. Thank you for your help!

Quoting mama02040608:

You don't HAVE to have an oversupply to have a forceful letdown, but the two do go hand in hand often. Do as you have been, you can also nurse until you let down, pull him off, and let down into a towel or burp cloth. Latch him back on after the flood has passed. This is what I did with my kids (had no idea about reclining then).

mama02040608
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:42 PM
I had to pull all of my kids off for a while. Every time, or so it seemed.

Quoting PhotogMom405:

See I feel like almost every letdown is that way. I'm not sure what to do. I'll try the blockfeeding and everything again and see what happens. Thank you for your help!

Quoting mama02040608:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhotogMom405
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Just only if it's bothering him. He can be a VERY VERY fussy baby sometimes and doesn't sleep hardly at all during the day. Never fails I get him laid down then I hear him gag and start fussing so he is back up and wants to nurse again.

Quoting FLmommy0204:

My daughter is similair with the hiccups that make her spit up and gag/cough.  She usually swallows it back down so there's no actual spit up.  She's gaining weight and not bothered by it at all so I don't think anything of it.  Is there reason to be concerned or is it only if it bothers baby?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM

How did you do block feeding? Often it doesn;t work because mom is going about it the wrong way

PhotogMom405
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I fed on only one side for several feedings (2-3, mostly 3) then switched to the other side for a few... etc.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

How did you do block feeding? Often it doesn;t work because mom is going about it the wrong way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)