Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(OT) Anone got the IUD without having a period?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:41 PM
  • 18 Replies

I had my baby 3months ago and wanted the paraguard iud (10yr one) and my OB couldn't do it at my 6wk checkup due to my insurance so i had to go to the health department to see about getting it.  I told the nurse that i don't get a period due to EBF. She's says they don't like to give women the IUD who don't have their period because it's hard to place.  So now im trying to figure out what kind of birth control i'm gonna get on or else I know i will be having another baby next yr lol.  I'm thinking mini pill for now.  But to those who have the IUD did you get it without having a period?    

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveOfWisdom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I did. They just did a pregnancy test to make sure I wasn't pregnant before getting it.  Can you go back to your doctor after your 6 wk check to get it... separate appt?

EmmaEllie
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I have a Mirena...haven't gotten my period after having dd almost 4 mos ago!!

shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:53 PM

It can be done.  Most Drs like you to have your period just so they dont have to do a pregnacy test and also it makes it easieer to put in if you are on your period at the time.  I had mine put in without a period and there wernt any problems.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
seoulmom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I had one put in, about 4 wks pp bc i was on medicaid & it only lasted until 30days after i had my baby, they didnt have any problems placing it or anything & I hadnt had a period yet

ps i had the mini pill with #1 & it didnt work I got preggers when #1 was 6months & i was EBF !

I'm not sure about the patch & the nuva ring though if they are safe with BF then maybe you could try one of those?...

mcalpinmom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM
The depo shot. Maybe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ajzuell
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:33 PM

mcalpinmom i don't think i want the the depo. I heard women gain weight on it. 

Holly.Nichole
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM
I just got it yesterday with no period but im bleeding after getting it :/ so either it caused me to start my period or something is wrong. I started bleeding immediately on the table...and haven't stopped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fightclmembr
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM
I got mine without having a period at 10 weeks pp. My midwife said since I'd had a baby so recently, it would be easy to place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fightclmembr
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:05 PM
Three months later I'm still bleeding...its normal and not a period! By the end of the year you should have little to no period and no more in between spotting/bleeding.

Quoting Holly.Nichole:

I just got it yesterday with no period but im bleeding after getting it :/ so either it caused me to start my period or something is wrong. I started bleeding immediately on the table...and haven't stopped.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:11 PM
I would get the paraguard. They can do a pregnancy test prior to placement. That is what they did with me, and I have mirena (I really don't like it and wouldn't recommend it). I wish I would have known about paraguard when I got my bc. Now, I have no insurance and don't have the cash to get it out an the paraguard put in. But, as far as you're concerned, they CAN place it. Just don't have sex for a couple weeks, and have them do a pregnancy test.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)