Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prolonged Breastfeeding

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM
  • 8 Replies
My daughter is only 3 months old but as I'm thinking about the future I don't see me wanting to wean at 12 months. I really wanna bf till she is ready to wean herself. I already can't drink milk Bc it upsets her belly big time. So I'm afraid to ever give it to her. I'm not very educated about prolonged Breastfeeding. Is breast milk enough after a year or do u have to supplement with some vitamins?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Fightclmembr
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM
After a year, baby should be getting some table foods, no special vitamins needed if you're still breastfeeding! And nursing to two years is nursing full term, not prolonged at all :)

I nursed my first that long, and it gave me great peace of mind that so long as he was nursing he got everything he needed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonRiderMD
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:17 PM

As long as she's getting at least 3 solids nursing sessions in a day, she won't need any other milk. :)

MichelleDanelle
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM
I'm glad you asked this as I am new too and have already decided same thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiesing
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:21 PM
O ok thanks a lot. I just wanna do what's best for dd. The area I live in not a lot of women breastfeed. So it is a all new experience for me.

Quoting Fightclmembr:

After a year, baby should be getting some table foods, no special vitamins needed if you're still breastfeeding! And nursing to two years is nursing full term, not prolonged at all :)

I nursed my first that long, and it gave me great peace of mind that so long as he was nursing he got everything he needed!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiesing
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:27 PM
Good for you! How old is your lo?

Quoting MichelleDanelle:

I'm glad you asked this as I am new too and have already decided same thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM
I agree with this, except that nursing full-term is not two years for every child. True self-weaning, without outside involvement, usually happens closer to age 4-5 (at least, from what I've seen). I am allowing my dd to self-wean. She just turned 3 and still nurses (several times a day/night). Two years is the minimum age recommended to nurse to, by the WHO and UNICEF. Look on kellymom.com for info on nursing after the first year. There is a wealth of info on that site. It will be very helpful to you. It is awesome that you want to let your child nurse full-term and self-wean!! :)

Quoting Fightclmembr:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa15
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM

When Morgan was that age, and until a good few months later, when I had a lot of milk she would spit up loads, no problems now though at 16mo.  The other replies seem to have answered everything else :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)