Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nursing after heart surgery

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
If my ds survives in utero he will need open heart sugery after he is born would I still be able to bf him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamia23493
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM
BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamia23493
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:27 PM
Depends on his recovery etc..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:29 PM

TOTALLY depends.  If he can breathe, suck, swallow at the same time and everything and maintain his heartrate maybe.  It may be too trying and he may need a supplimental nurser with you pumping milk in it or he may need tube feeding...all depends on how bad it is

cgbneb
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:29 PM
I really want to bf him and we are stayin positive that he will survive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamia23493
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM
! Prayers

Quoting cgbneb:

I really want to bf him and we are stayin positive that he will survive

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM

First, I'm so sorry you're going through such a difficult situation!  I hope he is born strong and does well through surgery!

I would imagine there will be a period after surgery when he is not taking anything by mouth.  He will probably be fed by tube or intravenously.  But if he's tube-fed, what goes into the tube should be your pumped breastmilk.  When he is stable enough to feed by mouth there will probably be a lot of factors for the NICU team to consider in the decision to breast or bottle feed, but still he should be getting your breastmilk.  Make sure you have a lactation consultant and a speech language pathologist if possible to help the team come up with a good plan to get him on the breast as soon as is possible.  As for specifics I just don't know, but I would find out if there's a CHD group here where you can get some stories and specific answers!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My toddler rides rear-facing because she is 75% more likely to survive a crash than a forward facing toddler.  I like those odds!  Learn more in the Car Seat Safety group!

cgbneb
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:37 PM
Right now he is not moving much and doctors told me eat and drink caffiene to keep him stimulated
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM

How far along? What is his diagnosis?

cgbneb
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM
I'm 22 weeks he has nearly non functionl left ventrical and an extremely small aortic valve
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cgbneb
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)