Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

engorgement... help please!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:40 PM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter is 2 months old now and is a GREAT night time sleeper. She usualy goes between 7 to 9 hours at a time at night. (she is gaining weight like crazy, and the doc said she is fine to be sleeping so long so early)  It has been this way for about 2 or 3 weeks now. But I am still getting super engorged in the middle of the night. I can't sleep through the uncomfortable pain. I have been pumping, but only for a couple minutes, just until I am comfortable so I can fall back to sleep. Sometimes I have to do this 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night. I am also afraid of getting clogged milk ducts from being so engorged.

I am wondering if my pumping a little bit is making me stay engorged every night. I hear that it should only take a few days for my body to adjust to her new eating pattern, but like I sad, it has been weeks! I also started pumping right before I go to bed to try to empty the breasts fully before her long stretch. 

Please tell me if this is making it worse! What should I do? Endure the pain for a few nights? Help!!

Thanks in advance!

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tessamalk
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:32 PM

The other moms might have better advice, but I would recommend that when you wake up for the first time with that pain? Do a full pumping session, rather than waking up two or three times. Other than that, I can't offer much--I'm very new to this, myself!

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM

bump

LaylasMaMa06
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:35 AM
Since its supply and demand I'm guessing the pumping before bed is a no-no but I'm a newbie. Its just a guess that your draining the breast so they fill back up thinking you need more. If i were to be so lucky to have my son sleep through the night, i would not pump unless in pain and only for a minute, just like your doing! I'm sure someone will know the definite answer! Hang in there mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 3:27 AM
I wouldn't pump if you could get away with it...you are demanding and your body continues to supply :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)