Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yeast - Gentian Violet - Please Help

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM
  • 20 Replies

Some ladies recommended gentian violet to get rid of yeast on the breast and in baby's mouth so I went and got some today since we've been fighting it for 4 months.  I've been through 3 rounds of diflucan, topical Nystatin and an all natural candida cleanse.  Baby is just now (last week or two) getting the Nystatin swish in his mouth but I can't completely get this cleared up. 

I was reading about the GV and I'm a touch nervous about it now because it says its been linked to mouth cancer?  True?  Is that only after prolonged usage?  And how do I do this?  Do I only put it inside baby's mouth or do I swipe it on his lips,too?  Do I put it on the entire areole?  How many days do I do this and will the discoloration go away?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow my blog, Kelly's Kapers, and read about my journey to my first 5K, a more "natural" way of living and the crazy things that happen in a home with 6 children!

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShannaBee
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:52 PM
I got a qtip and swabbed DD's mouth and my nipples. Hold your baby forward so as little as possible gets swallowed. I've heard of the mouth cancer but I think it's a low chance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM

prolonged use is the issue..paint your nipple and nurse baby everything will spread ad treat both..coat baby in lanolin or vaseline on cheeks, chin and nose to prevent staining...treat 2-3 days twice a day..staining lasts 48 hours from last treatment

MichelleDanelle
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:13 PM
I only paint my nipples and it works for us. I was also told once a day - I do it after his bedtime feedingap it has time to sit. You can do for up to 7 days but my lc recommended 4 because it can cause ulcers in their mouth? I've had good experiences with it and notice the pain going away by the 3rd dose usually.

We just finished up a round ourselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleDanelle
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM
Thanks for lanolon / staining solution! I've had a terrible time getting that off mine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dabberdoo
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Thank you so much!!

MichelleDanelle
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM
And I only paint my nipples sometimes I do whole aereola but I've never been sure which was correct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tessamalk
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Question on GV - I found it on Amazon in their health & beauty / drugstore section and they have a 1% and a 2% solution. Which one is the proper one?

Dabberdoo
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Obviously I don't KNOW because these ladies are helping me but I thought I would throw out there that my WalMart stuff is 2%.  Grabbed the bottle and looked at it.

tessamalk
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Thanks mama!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:07 PM

1% if you get the 2% water it down 1/2 and 1/2

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)