Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching to drink from a bottle

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM
  • 9 Replies
My DD had been strictly on the breast. She is five months old. I'm going back to school in the fall so I'm gonna have to pump. I've been trying to get her to bottlefeed and she just will not do it. I am scared I'm gonna have to bow out of school because I fear she's gonna starve unless she has her boobies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommyof2grls06
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM
Maybe try a sippy cup?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:53 PM
Is five months old old enough? I'm a first time mom also I have no clue on some things!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:59 PM

YOU should never offer bottles, and you should not be around when she gets them too, bottles are easy and do not take training..if baby gets hungry enough baby will take it, you can also offer sippy cups too when away(well caregiver can).  Its not about how much at each but rather nursing enough in a day so if baby prefers to wait til you get back and nurse extra that works fine too its called reverse cycling

Ammie25
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Here's information from kellymom.com about alternative feeding methods for breastfed babies. You do have options. :)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/alternative-feeding.html

ardiaxe
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM
I bought a bunch of different types of bottle nipples and when baby was starving, I would see which one she would accept and latch on to. Mam was the winner, now she will take any type of bottle nipple. I also used a lot of distraction while trying to get her to accept the new nipple. Good luck. Alternative methods never worked as good as the bottle for her, nuk Sippy was the next best thing.
Fightclmembr
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM
Try a sippy cup! Tommee tippee has one for four months plus...my almost five month old did not learn to drink from.a bottle after having his tongue tie clipped, but he can work the Tommee tippee cup!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:19 PM
I agree with trying a sippy. Forget bottles if baby is refusing. It's better for your bf'ing relationship to avoid bottles, anyway. I like/dd liked tommee tippee, too!!

Quoting Fightclmembr:

Try a sippy cup! Tommee tippee has one for four months plus...my almost five month old did not learn to drink from.a bottle after having his tongue tie clipped, but he can work the Tommee tippee cup!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:29 PM
Where do you get the tommee tippee?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sonogirl
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Babies r us or online

Quoting ShannaBee:

Where do you get the tommee tippee?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)