Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Domperidone? Good choice for me or not?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM
  • 8 Replies

Will this work regardless of the cause of your supply problem or only if it's a hormonal problem?  The IBCLC/MD that I saw today prescribed it but the LLL leader I talked to said not to waste my money on it because it will only help if the issue is hormonal and that "Marathon Feeding"  will be more effective and work faster anyway.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM
What is your issue, exactly?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM

It helps women with IGT too, it has to be a true supply issue and not just a maintenance issue, if low supply is caused by too high bottles when away, not enough nursing/pumping, or other issue like that then it wont help as much.. its worth a try either way

sarasquiverfull
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:09 AM

This should explain it

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/14435028/Please_help_me_figure_out_why_she_is_doing_this_UPDATE

Quoting kyriesmommy13:

What is your issue, exactly?

sarasquiverfull
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Not sure what IGT is.  It's caused by ineffeicient suck due to bad latch secondary to high palate, short tounge (not Tongue Tie) and low muscle tone.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

It helps women with IGT too, it has to be a true supply issue and not just a maintenance issue, if low supply is caused by too high bottles when away, not enough nursing/pumping, or other issue like that then it wont help as much.. its worth a try either way

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM

Insufficient glandular tissue.

OK well I think it would give your supply a good jump start, because of these issues I would think you will need to pump and use a supplimental nursing system til the weak suck is strengthened. But I do think it could help you up supply.

Quoting sarasquiverfull:

Not sure what IGT is.  It's caused by ineffeicient suck due to bad latch secondary to high palate, short tounge (not Tongue Tie) and low muscle tone.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

maggiemom2000
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM

There is another mom on here who has successfully used domperidone to increase supply for her baby who has latch/suck problems.

I think it will likely help, but you just need to know that NO meds will help if you don't also do something to increase milk removal. That can be more frequent nursing, breast compressions while nursing, pumping, to name a few.

An IBCLC has WAY more training than a LLL Leader. Not knowing anything else I'd go with the advice of an IBCLC over an LLL leader.

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Both Char07 and I use dom for tongue tie causing latch/suck issues :)  She is having more success though, my DD still needs supplimenting.  I have a tricky situation where if I pump, DD needs more supplimenting because she needs easier meals, so I'm still trying to work out a balance.  Hope it works for you!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

There is another mom on here who has successfully used domperidone to increase supply for her baby who has latch/suck problems.

I think it will likely help, but you just need to know that NO meds will help if you don't also do something to increase milk removal. That can be more frequent nursing, breast compressions while nursing, pumping, to name a few.

An IBCLC has WAY more training than a LLL Leader. Not knowing anything else I'd go with the advice of an IBCLC over an LLL leader.

Char07
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I use it for the same kinds of problems, my dd has a high palate and an unclipped tongue tie causing milk transfer issues.  In the beginning we used fenugreek and blessed thistle and pumped all the time to keep an oversupply for her to make it easier for her get milk.  Then the fenugreek/blessed thistle seemed to not make a difference anymore so I started dom when her diapers dropped down (I was even weighing her diapers at this point...)  It did make a difference on its own, I have tried to wean off dom twice since then (dd is now 13 months old) but her dipes drop down to nothing when I do, although I am now only taking 30mg per day compared to the 90mg I was taking at first.  I did stop pumping but never gave a paci/bottle and nursed on demand (often back to back nursing) and coslept so she could nurse straight through the night to get her as much time nursing as possible.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)