Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Got her to breastfeed but now what?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM
  • 25 Replies

So i posted a couple days ago about my 8 week old preemie (34 weeker) who i was trying to breastfeed...well i got her to latch, without a SNS. She has done it twice to where she ate and fell asleep. YAY! Well im still getting use to eat and really nervous that she is getting enough. I also pump both breasts right after and still get the same amount from each breast, but i know she is getting some bc she gets frusterated at first and then i know she is getting some bc she swallows and seems content. Do i pump both breasts after? Not sure where to go from here, i want to just try to breastfeed but i dont know if shes getting any. Also i pumped and about 45 mins she woke up again hungry so i gave her a bottle bc i just pumped. I am honestly not sure how to go about this. She has a great latch and seems to be getting something but why do i still get the same amount from both breasts? Also is it ok to only feed her from one breast at a feeding? We are both new to this so i didnt want to stop and switch sides and what for the let down? Sorry about the questions but i am def excited bc my obgyn said she wouldnt and she is!!! Just need some help on where to go from here!? 

by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kwald2508
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM
Just keep putting her to breast and count diapers. Ditch the bottles. Really. Pumping after feeds is a good idea so you maintain your supply while she is hit or miss with the bf. You always will have milk, even if you've just pumped. The flow might be slower but you will have milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Quoting nicole1012:

So i posted a couple days ago about my 8 week old preemie (34 weeker) who i was trying to breastfeed...well i got her to latch, without a SNS. She has done it twice to where she ate and fell asleep. YAY! Well im still getting use to eat and really nervous that she is getting enough. I also pump both breasts right after and still get the same amount from each breast, but i know she is getting some bc she gets frusterated at first and then i know she is getting some bc she swallows and seems content. Do i pump both breasts after?I would for now til you know shes getting enough and not having a weak suck causing lowered supply kwim? Not sure where to go from here, i want to just try to breastfeed but i dont know if shes getting anygo to all nursing and count diapers..she CAN do it now so do it!. Also i pumped and about 45 mins she woke up again hungry so i gave her a bottle bc i just pumped.45 min yeah no need for a bottle..hears the thing you ALWAYS have milk, the flow is slower if you have just pumped but even if pump no longer got milk baby could, baby is different and better at it, from now on NO bottles unless you can not nurse I am honestly not sure how to go about this. She has a great latch and seems to be getting something but why do i still get the same amount from both breasts?because you do? She may have just increase supply..nursing and pumping will do that Also is it ok to only feed her from one breast at a feeding? YEPWe are both new to this so i didnt want to stop and switch sides and what for the let down? nurse one side as long as baby will stay on and offer the second, but only one is neededSorry about the questions but i am def excited bc my obgyn said she wouldnt and she is!!!your OB is an idiot...neer take BFing advice from an OB, have you seen a lactation consultant? If not call around find one and see one for some in person advice and support, find your local la leche league too Just need some help on where to go from here!? She CAN nurse so nurse..no bottles count diapers if you get 6 in a day wet or messy baby is getting enough milk!

WTG MOMMA!!

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM
I agree with pps. Just have to say congrats!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole1012
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM
Thank you. I try every feeding but she wanted to nurse after 2 hours and got so upset and wouldn't wait for the let down. I tried until she screamed then a gave her a bottle, I don't want her to get so upset and not eat. I don't know what else to do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleybgarcia
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM
You can always pump for a few minutes to get your milk flowing! I did that a lot in the beginning. And to draw my nipples out BC mine were flat. Way to go!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Every 2 hours is EXACTLY what she should be doing.  Shes getting upset because shes used to the fast flow of the bottle and continuing to give it will only make matters worse..if you know she can nurse then expect her to nurse..she WILL do it even if she dislikes the waiting

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM
2 hours is normal for a newborn! Don't worry about time in between. Newborns go through so many growth spurts in the first 6-8 weeks and sometimes want to nurse every 45 minutes and will be fussy but it doesn't mean that she isn't getting enough! She's just telling your body to make more milk. The only only only way to tell how much she's getting is diaper count! Ditch the bottles!

You're doing an awesome job!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Every 2 hours is EXACTLY what she should be doing.  Shes getting upset because shes used to the fast flow of the bottle and continuing to give it will only make matters worse..if you know she can nurse then expect her to nurse..she WILL do it even if she dislikes the waiting

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TotallyConfused
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM
Agreed with all of the above

WTG MAMA

Ditch the bottles. Really. Really. She can do it :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:48 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)