Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old is too old to nurse a child?

Posted by   + Show Post

In your opinion?

by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 11:57 PM
Agreed. These changes usually happen around 7-8 years of age, and that would be my personal cut off.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Too old is when the child can no longer latch due to changes in the jaw due to losing the baby teeth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMom0411
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:08 AM

I think as long as mom is doing it for healthy reasons, as long as she and the child are comfortable with it. Who am I to judge?

For me, personally, I plan to nurse until 2. I'm hoping my daughter doesn't wean before then. After that I hope to slowly wean her but I hope by then she will be ready. As for the comments on 7/8, as I said, who am I to judge. BUT...my son is 7 and the top of his head comes to my shoulders/bottom of my neck (I'm 5'2"). I can't imagine nursing him. lol He would take up more than half of the couch.

ashleywagoner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:08 AM
Lol the child

Quoting ThePinkRobot:

I don't even know if you're asking about the age of the mother or the child…

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywagoner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM
3-4 IMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_to_Skyler
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Um......

My son nursed to 34 months and weaned due to my pregnancy (I was six months preggo with his sister).

My DD is 22 months and still nursing.  I'd like to get her past three before she weans.  But it's all up to her.

feliciasmith
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:14 AM

hahaha this was a really funny image in my wierd brain! Thank you for that lol

My goal is to one but my body I think hates breastfeeding, my baby girl is 9 months and I thought I couldn't make it to 1 twice but w/ the help of my handy dandy pump we're still struggling through =/  But if my body allowed it I'd stop around 2 probably.

OH and could you imagine how wiggly an 8 yr old would be?! I can barely get my infant to stay interested enough to nurse for 10 minutes

Quoting ProudMom0411:

I think as long as mom is doing it for healthy reasons, as long as she and the child are comfortable with it. Who am I to judge?

For me, personally, I plan to nurse until 2. I'm hoping my daughter doesn't wean before then. After that I hope to slowly wean her but I hope by then she will be ready. As for the comments on 7/8, as I said, who am I to judge. BUT...my son is 7 and the top of his head comes to my shoulders/bottom of my neck (I'm 5'2"). I can't imagine nursing him. lol He would take up more than half of the couch.

Daynaof3
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM
I used to think I woukd stop at a year, once we past that and it wasn't any different I chose to continue. It never changed to being weird. My son weaned just after two and the girls still ask infrequently at 4 1/2. Still not weird for me. I compare it to wondering what you're kids will look like at different ages. You try to imagine it and you really can't and it's weird to think of them being older. Once they are older you think they look just the same but older, it's no longer weird it's just what they look like. They change gradually over time like the bf relationship does but it's still the same and it's just normal. =)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

HMMM when they go to college???

I think my limit is between 4-5..I used to say 4 but my guy nursed til 3.5 and it still wasnt wierd at all for me so I think it changes overtimes....at first I thought a year was wierd and then I thought pver 2 was wierd and its changed as my guy got older...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyluv23
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM

As soon as they turn 4, that would be the max for me!

TotallyConfused
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:23 AM
Idk, for me I think school age maybe? So around 4-5ish? We'll see....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:29 AM

IDK really. my DS nursed until 21 1/2 months. I plan to go at least that far with DD. I'd like to make it to 2 yrs with her.

When I started my goal was 6 wks, then 6 months, then a year, then we decided to see where we stood. At 18 months I decided I was done and we started very slowly weaning and finished at 21 1/2 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)