Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old is too old to nurse a child?

Posted by   + Show Post

In your opinion?

by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Replies (31-40):
JT32606
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 8:50 AM
Totally agree!

My ds is 3 and still nurses... We'll stop when HE'S ready =]

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Since all children will naturally wean in their own time I don't think I can put a number on it. The natural age of weaning is between 2.5-7 years, and virtually all children will wean in that timeframe.

In other words, a child who is too old to nurse will not be nursing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Daisies.23
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 8:50 AM
I used to think nothing after a year, now that I am educated, my goal is at least 2 years. I am all for self weaning. DD is 9 months and no where near ready to wean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I plan on weaning at a year.  I might stick with nighttime nursing for a bit after that, but will definately do away with pumping!  I just can't see breastfeeding a child who is old enough to ask for it (clearly, in a full sentence, not just saying num num or nurse please).  But that might change as dd gets older.

munkiebaby
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 8:52 AM

2 and above.if they can ask or are old enought  to start pottie training its to old for a binky(nuk) and the boob/ bottle

i was for self weaning till i saw 2 different childen 3 and 4ys with a binky and the other  the boob in the wic office

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 9:03 AM
My daughter was fully potty trained at 18 months and my son started at 20 months potty training. So that one I personally would not go by. My guy will be two in a few weeks. I don't know when we'll stop. He still asks for it as soon as I get home. And through out the day and through out the night as well. I can hear him swallowing so I know he's eating and not just using me as a paci.

Quoting munkiebaby:

2 and above.if they can ask or are old enought  to start pottie training its to old for a binky(nuk) and the boob/ bottle

i was for self weaning till i saw 2 different childen 3 and 4ys with a binky and the other  the boob in the wic office

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 9:35 AM
I'm a little concerned, my son may lose a tooth this week, if the dentist decides to pull it. He hurt it a month or two ago and the tooth is changing colors. It's his top middle tooth. If he looses that tooth, it may affect his nursing? I hadn't thought of this until this post.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Too old is when the child can no longer latch due to changes in the jaw due to losing the baby teeth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM
I don't think so. I believe it is the adult teeth coming in that changes the jaw since they are bigger.

Quoting mjimaging:

I'm a little concerned, my son may lose a tooth this week, if the dentist decides to pull it. He hurt it a month or two ago and the tooth is changing colors. It's his top middle tooth. If he looses that tooth, it may affect his nursing? I hadn't thought of this until this post.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Too old is when the child can no longer latch due to changes in the jaw due to losing the baby teeth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM

When you are too old to have children.  :)

As long as you can have babies, you should nurse them, and as long as they need it.  :)

Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

Are you tired of BAD Breastfeeding information?  Go to www.llli.org and search the resources for REAL CORRECT info. 

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam ...... Thank you Popeye!   BEHOLD!  THE POWER OF BREASTMILK!!!   Proud momma of two self weaning, extended breastfed preemie boys!

ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM

When I'm past menopause.  I think.  I'd have to look it up to know for sure. :)

For ME, I like to wean them around three.  For everyone else?  Until the two people in the relationship decide things need to change.  And I reserve the right to let the youngest self wean.  Even if he/she does so at 7.  I'm just SO ready to focus on just ONE baby by the time the older one is three, so yeah.  That won't be an issue with the youngest, so I'll play it by ear.  It also assumes perfect health.  If my 4 year old is catching every plague in the book and my milk can help and he wants it straight from the tap, guess what he'll be getting?

ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Yeah, it is.  Losing baby teeth (from injury) doesn't affect nursing - otherwise, how would any newborn latch?

Quoting aehanrahan:

I don't think so. I believe it is the adult teeth coming in that changes the jaw since they are bigger.

Quoting mjimaging:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)