Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How old is too old to nurse a child?

Posted by   + Show Post

In your opinion?

by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Not to mention my 12 month old has been asking for it since six months.  I'm teaching her nursing manners already because I'm sick of her trying to lift up my shirt.  It's still "cute" now, but that will change WAY before she understands why, so I'm teaching her the signs for "more" and "milk".

And my son has Autism.  He's 4 1/2 and still can't talk.  So if "asking for it" HAS to be verbal, could he still nurse?  He isn't potty trained either.

Quoting mjimaging:

My daughter was fully potty trained at 18 months and my son started at 20 months potty training. So that one I personally would not go by. My guy will be two in a few weeks. I don't know when we'll stop. He still asks for it as soon as I get home. And through out the day and through out the night as well. I can hear him swallowing so I know he's eating and not just using me as a paci.

Quoting munkiebaby:

2 and above.if they can ask or are old enought  to start pottie training its to old for a binky(nuk) and the boob/ bottle

i was for self weaning till i saw 2 different childen 3 and 4ys with a binky and the other  the boob in the wic office

Blue_Spiral
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I don't believe a child can ever be too old.

It's not "normal" to go past 7 or 8 in my opinion, but I wouldn't call it wrong.

Yesenia87
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I would say anywhere after 2 years 

mjp2707
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 2:12 PM
I would prob go to 4 but a healthy nursing relationship should continue for as long as both parties desire.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scooters
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 2:22 PM

how old are you ? you have a baby ?

Gizzmoe321Lee
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I don't know. My son only nursed till not quite six months because I lost my milk. My daughter is 5 months and we're doing great, I plan on nursing as long as it works for both of us. But, I can tell you now, my son is four, and I would NOT still nurse him, personally. He's a little boy now, and I would feel akward with him wanting to nurse. Which, I suppose might be weird, because I have no problems with nudity issues, he sees me change or shower if he walks in or needs to use the restroom, and I don't care, but I just wouldn't want to nurse him.

kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Quoting FLmommy0204:

I plan on weaning at a year.  I might stick with nighttime nursing for a bit after that, but will definately do away with pumping!  I just can't see breastfeeding a child who is old enough to ask for it (clearly, in a full sentence, not just saying num num or nurse please).  But that might change as dd gets older.

my dd was speaking in sentences (she spoke multiple words/multiple sentences) before she was a year. she could also walk and feed herself (another momma mentioned that as a limit) before she was 1. one year is the AAP's recommended MINIMUM. 1 year olds are still babies. i understand that some women are not comfortable with it, and that is their choice/right (what about the baby's right? choice?) maybe try to take a look at why it is so disconcerting? nursing an older child is a slow, smooth transition. one doesn't all of a sudden go from nursing a newborn to nursing a 1, or 2, or 3 year old. i'd just suggest/hope that everyone keep an open mind (and it seems as if you are, FLmommy). 

breastfeeding-quote.gif

mom23girls721
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 9:48 PM
Quoting ProudMom0411:

I think as long as mom is doing it for healthy reasons, as long as she and the child are comfortable with it. Who am I to judge?

For me, personally, I plan to nurse until 2. I'm hoping my daughter doesn't wean before then. After that I hope to slowly wean her but I hope by then she will be ready. As for the comments on 7/8, as I said, who am I to judge. BUT...my son is 7 and the top of his head comes to my shoulders/bottom of my neck (I'm 5'2"). I can't imagine nursing him. lol He would take up more than half of the couch.

I agree,PLUS. A lot of us remember being 6 or 7 years old. I can't imagine having childhood memories of breastfeeding, now that would creep me out- personally!! My limit will be 2 years old MAX
ashleywagoner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 9:57 PM
I am 31 & I've been nursing my son officially 11 months today! He is no where near stopping. : D

Quoting scooters:

how old are you ? you have a baby ?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleybgarcia
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 9:57 PM
I'd say 3 is my max. My son is 2 now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN