Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nipple Shields - Pros versus Cons

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM
  • 7 Replies

So I have flat nipples and LO will still not latch correctly. I have a nipple shield which once and a while I might use because right now I have a very tender, shredded nipple, but I was wondering because I hear mix reviews what you ladies who have used it before feel about it? Is it worth it to use it or try to grin and bear the pain while LO learns to latch?

Second question unrelated to first: My DS up until a few days ago slept in his bassinet at night for hours at a time at night, but now he won't sleep in it. My DH just went back to work and I'm at a loss! I've been barely getting two hours at night to sleep and have a toddler so catching a nap during the day is almost impossible. The only change is that he's been eating off one breast each feeding, but has been satisfied and refusing the other breast almost every single time I offer it. He still eats every 2-3 hours during the day, but now won't sleep without us holding him.

by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lovelimadness
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I have no clue about nipple shields but I can help with the second. Do have a problem with co-sleeping? Does your DH? I co-sleep with my 4 month old because she was doing exactly what your DS was doing. She slept in a moses basket at night for the first few days she was home and it all went downhill. We started co-sleeping and I started sleeping again.

Mom_to_Skyler
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Pro - gets the baby to the breast.

Cons - can reduce milk supply.  Messy.  Doesn't encourage a proper latch since it's shaped/textured different than the breast.

I would grin and bear it.  How old is your son?

With my son (born Aug 2006) is used a shield because I have small, flat nipples.  After 10 days he was a pound over his birthweight.  So milk supply was not a concern for me personally.  He also sucked so hard that he pulled the tip of my nipple through the holes in the shield.  OUCH!  At 10 days I started to wean him from the shield.  I would start nursing and after 2-3 minutes, pop him off, remove the shield, and attempt to re-latch.  It was a struggle as he was lazy and wanted the shield.  We were off the shields by 2 weeks during the day.  It took longer at night because I didn't want the fight at 2 am.

With my daughter I thought it would be a piece of cake to nurse her.  After all, I had just stopped nursing her brother less than 2 months before she was born.  No such luck.  I had raw shredded nipples for the first month.  But this time I didn't use a shield.  It sucked and it hurt but we made it through.

As for sleeping...my babies always slept better when I was nearby.  He's learning that he needs you.  In the previous weeks/months he probably slept from exhaustion.  But now he realizes that you are his "safe place" and is really letting you know that!  It's normal.  Get a sling and keep him close by.  Babies that are held/comforted most grow to be the most independent.

Freakenbree
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Unfortunately, co-sleeping isn't an option since my DH is a very heavy sleeper and I'm prone to anxiety. Sometimes, I'll wake up in the middle of the night to breastfeed an invisible baby...or look through the sheets in belief that I am smothering him in blankets. I would say that its not a good idea.

Quoting lovelimadness:

I have no clue about nipple shields but I can help with the second. Do have a problem with co-sleeping? Does your DH? I co-sleep with my 4 month old because she was doing exactly what your DS was doing. She slept in a moses basket at night for the first few days she was home and it all went downhill. We started co-sleeping and I started sleeping again.

FLmommy0204
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

how old is baby?  Could this just be a growth spurt?  Nursing just one side is fine, btw. 

what about just using the shield for baby to draw out the nipple, then remove and relatch so he can get it?  Once your nipples heal, then try it without.  Also try putting lanolin on before each feed to help with the shredding.  My left nipple rips at the base anytime I use the football hold.  I put the lanolin over the tear before feeds until it healed and do not use that position any more. 

lovelimadness
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Ok that is completely understandable! I'd be scared to do it then as well. I wish I could offer more advice, co-sleeping was my answer.

Quoting Freakenbree:

Unfortunately, co-sleeping isn't an option since my DH is a very heavy sleeper and I'm prone to anxiety. Sometimes, I'll wake up in the middle of the night to breastfeed an invisible baby...or look through the sheets in belief that I am smothering him in blankets. I would say that its not a good idea.

Quoting lovelimadness:

Freakenbree
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 12:57 PM

He is 2 weeks 3 days old. I think it may be a growth spurt since he's been very hungry the last two days and in the last four had gained an ounce a day. So I'm hoping that is the main cause.

Quoting FLmommy0204:

how old is baby?  Could this just be a growth spurt?  Nursing just one side is fine, btw. 

what about just using the shield for baby to draw out the nipple, then remove and relatch so he can get it?  Once your nipples heal, then try it without.  Also try putting lanolin on before each feed to help with the shredding.  My left nipple rips at the base anytime I use the football hold.  I put the lanolin over the tear before feeds until it healed and do not use that position any more. 

FLmommy0204
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Quoting Freakenbree:

He is 2 weeks 3 days old. I think it may be a growth spurt since he's been very hungry the last two days and in the last four had gained an ounce a day. So I'm hoping that is the main cause. 

Those growth spurts don't seem to stop until 3 months or so!  My dd started evening cluster feeds from 6 weeks until about 10 weeks.  I didn't think I'd be able to get through it.  She was attached from about 6 until 10 every night!  But then she would sleep for 6-7 hours so it was kinda a give and take.  Hang in there, it gets better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN