Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Ok ladies. I'm determined to breastfeed longer than the hospital stay this time. I am going to need LOTS of encouragement. I always get so stressed out and frustrated with it that I give up. But not this time!!!!
With that said, what are some things I will need to make it easier on me. I'm a stay at home mom so the pump I don't 'need'. I'm talking things like...nursing tops? I bought a nursing cover up but didn't know if the nursing tops are actually something I need. How many nursing bras? What's easiest for night feedings (pj wise) basically some BTDT experiences that make it easier for you. Please help. And I'm serious about the encouragement lol I'm due in 5 weeks so we have time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
Susan0805
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:55 AM

LOL. I so thought, you'll need a boob, LOL.

Quoting gdiamante:

NEED?

At least one breast.

Baby.

Done.

If you leak, add nursing pads. Also add lansinoh. Since you have more than one child, also add a sling.

The rest? Optional. Never owned a nursing top myself.

kyriesmommy13
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:56 AM
For pj's, anything stretchy with a v-neck or low scoop neck, or a nightgown. In the winter, I layer and wear a button down thermal over my stretchy tank.

I had a couple sleep nursing bras, and a couple regular nursing bras. I liked la leche league's microfiber lightly padded bra (good for leaks).

Several stretchy tanks/cami's. I used to use the two shirt method (now, I just lift out my boob) -- stretchy tank or cami under the shirt, regular top over. Pull down tank and bra, get baby in position, then lift up top shirt. Very discreet, and without those big neon signs, err, I mean covers that tell the whole world you're bf'ing.

A wrap/sling/carrier.

A boppy.

A reusable thermos for water.

Two books -- So That's What They're For by Janet Tamaro, and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League

**The things I listed aren't all necessities, but they are all very helpful.**

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymom6
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:35 AM

i second that !!

Quoting gdiamante:

NEED?

At least one breast.

Baby.

Done.

If you leak, add nursing pads. Also add lansinoh. Since you have more than one child, also add a sling.

The rest? Optional. Never owned a nursing top myself.

Stay at Home Mom to my beautiful princess, just started a new website and blog for financial information and education www.ranichopra.com  

babytjsmum
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:43 AM

My life savers were: a water bottle, 2 stretchy nursing bras and lots of nursing pads (I always have 1 bra in the wash since I leak horribly, and a waterproof mattress cover.  The last one is odd but if we didn't have that our mattress would be ruined.  

Best advice - the baby eats all the time in the first six weeks. ALL the time.  So sleep when baby sleeps and invest in a sling or carrier.  Target has some nice ones for as little as $20-30.  Wearing the baby is so worth it.  It keeps baby happy and usually sleeping and you have 2 hands free to do things like eat, pee, grocery shop - you know, the important stuff lol.  

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:49 AM

I think you, baby, sling and lasinoh are absolute musts.

nice to have- a boppy, but any pillow or combo of pillows will help. 2-3 nursing bras. but really, right now, just get one make it a little loose to have room to grow. when you've been nursing for a week or two (or maybe more go get another 1-2). not any more than the number of bras you usually wear. Me- I wear and cycle through 3 usually so that's how many I got.

for nursing tops- I liked to have them, but any shirt that will allow you the ability to access your breasts without having to take the whole thing off would be fine. I like to get maternity tops while pregnant that either pull to the side to allow access to the breast or with elastic in the neckline for the same reason.

but you know what?? these are just nice things to have- not absolutely necessary!

You can do it though.

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:51 AM

oh and I second the copy of "So that's what they're for" that is a really good book. funny and informative at the same time!!

theirmommy88
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Boppy, nursing pads, nursing tops were awesome in the summer because then you don't need a cover... I'll let you know others as I come to it =]

gracielynn87
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:59 AM

how exciting! I would definently read up on proper latch and get your SO to support you with breastfeeding that support is vital. Kellymom.com has a ton of great info. I would just one comfy house nursing bra for now and wait a little while until milk comes in to get anymore. You'll be suprised how engorged you might get lol. At first (I had a very overactive letdown and sprayed milk everywhere 24/7) so I actually walked around the house with shorts and a rob for the first 2 months.. lol I didnt sleep with a shirt and laid towels down on the bed and when I sat on the couch. Big t-shirts always work good.. you can pull them up easily. Nursing cloths never worked well with me especially when you're first engorged. Always keep water and good snacks ready foryou (trail mix, string cheese, boiled eggs). I hope I didn't ramble too bad here. and remember that women have been breastfeeding for all of time :)

theirmommy88
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 4:00 AM

Also, you don't actually NEED nursing tops =] Layer with tank tops and you can cut the tank tops up to make it easier. 

My oldest was breastfed for 9 1/2 months. Formula feeding is SO much more time consuming. You got this =] I'm still breastfeeding my youngest (who is one) and it's the easiest thing I've ever done. 

gracielynn87
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 4:03 AM

oh i forgot to add... the key is to nurse nurse nurse whenever baby fusses and acts hungry. oh and As soon as baby is born have them set baby on your chest (also have them not cut cord until it stops pulsing- but that's not breastfeeding related  :) ) anyways.. the more skin to skin contact and the sooner the contact the fasteer your milk will come in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN