Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Ok ladies. I'm determined to breastfeed longer than the hospital stay this time. I am going to need LOTS of encouragement. I always get so stressed out and frustrated with it that I give up. But not this time!!!!
With that said, what are some things I will need to make it easier on me. I'm a stay at home mom so the pump I don't 'need'. I'm talking things like...nursing tops? I bought a nursing cover up but didn't know if the nursing tops are actually something I need. How many nursing bras? What's easiest for night feedings (pj wise) basically some BTDT experiences that make it easier for you. Please help. And I'm serious about the encouragement lol I'm due in 5 weeks so we have time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Replies (21-30):
MrsAdorkable
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 5:30 AM

I've never used nursing bras, tops, or covers.... When milk first came it the pads were very helpful though. 
Honestly, naked is easier (and especially so in the early weeks, skin-to-skin is important) but again, you will probably be leaking (no worrises if you don't btw!) so if you go topless, stick a towel under you.. Oh, should probably add, this is for co-sleeping, although if you don't cosleep I guess topless would still save you a little time.
I find somewhat loose, low-cut tops easier... its all personal preference, you will find what works for you. I love Boppy's, but only used them for nursing when DS was very tiny. I used them more for tummy time and sitting support... ok, and for my neck too!
A sling/wrap/carrier is very very nice, especially if this is not and only child and/or you are not super woman. Find one that works for you.... I am a fan of traditional ring slings, but hear that moby's & mei-teis are also nice 

CowgirlMama0508
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM
Wow!! Thanks so much for all the replies!!! I bought the cover for public and if we are at someones house. I think I will buy some spaghetti straps/tank tops and just wear under whatever shirt I'm wearing. I really appreciate all the advice. Thank you so much!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
personal.legend
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM

i bought two nursing tops and rarely wear them. and i have 2 nursing bras and 2 nursing sports bras and i only wear one of them, lol. as for the nighttime, hell i just pull my shirt up hahaha. i don't want to worry about what i wear to bed so i wear what's comfortable and just pull it up and lay down and nurse....and then sometimes fall asleep. not like my husband cares :P  if i do wear my nursing tank though it's usually to bed. you'll get the hang of it and find out what works best for you and baby :) 

i bought a pump and i'm a stay at home mom, but that's just because i don't do the whole bfing in public thing. 

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM

You may want some kind of pump in case you want to go out somewhere without your child(ren) at some point. But other things: nursing bras (amount depends on how often you do the wash. I'd say go by the amt. of regular bras you usually  need), nursing tops (although I don't have any and just use tank tops for now), boppy (definitely helps your back so you don't have to lean over so much when bf'ing), pads to put in your bra for when leaking

For night feedings, I usually either just sleep in my nursing bra or have pjs on and just take off the shirt when ready to feed. But wearing just a bra seems the easiest and it's been warm enough. They do sell nursing pjs if you want them.

deccaf
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Sleep without a shirt, expecially since it will be summer.  You will be more comfortable.  If you cosleep, this is just providing easier access for baby, less wakeup time for you.  Get a boppy or my breast friend.  It really does help especially when baby is attached to your breast.  Also good for the times you need to put him/her down for a second.  Lansinoh for sore/tender breasts, maybe some pads, I got reusable and just washed them.  SNACKS.  Something you can eat one handed, preferable room temp, as anything hot or cold will likely be room temp by the time you eat it anyway.  A supportive hubby or something to hit him upside the head with when he is being a silly boy and not supporting you or helping you.

CowgirlMama0508
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:17 PM
I am loving your last sentence!!!! I have a boppy (actually 2 haha) I think I will buy a nice pair of nursing pjs. What size nursing bra should I get? My normal size? Right now I'm a 38d. Pre-pregnancy I'm a 38c. Hubby is on board...lol

Quoting deccaf:

Sleep without a shirt, expecially since it will be summer.  You will be more comfortable.  If you cosleep, this is just providing easier access for baby, less wakeup time for you.  Get a boppy or my breast friend.  It really does help especially when baby is attached to your breast.  Also good for the times you need to put him/her down for a second.  Lansinoh for sore/tender breasts, maybe some pads, I got reusable and just washed them.  SNACKS.  Something you can eat one handed, preferable room temp, as anything hot or cold will likely be room temp by the time you eat it anyway.  A supportive hubby or something to hit him upside the head with when he is being a silly boy and not supporting you or helping you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Prepreg I was a 34DD.  Prego I was a 40F.  I am currently a 36I (yes, the letter that follows H).  You may need to wait until nursing is established to get a true right sized bra.  I would get a sport bra in the meantime as they are usually small, medium, large.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

I am loving your last sentence!!!! I have a boppy (actually 2 haha) I think I will buy a nice pair of nursing pjs. What size nursing bra should I get? My normal size? Right now I'm a 38d. Pre-pregnancy I'm a 38c. Hubby is on board...lol

Quoting deccaf:

MichelleDanelle
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:29 PM
I stay at home but use my pump for babysitting and solid meals, you may want one eventually.

One of those ice packs that can also be a heat pack,

Cotton bra pads for home,

I use disposable bra pads for out of the house, they hold more,

Lots of nipple cream!

I get cheap nursing bras at walmart also cheap jogging bras at another discount store - I found some with front clasps that are great! The nursing bras make it easier to be discreet in public tho,

Clothes I just reorganized my closet to only have tanks, lowcut, and button up tops,

I wear a tank to sleep but after first feeding I sleep in bra - they make a special bra for nursing at night, very comfie and accessable - I got mine at Wic,

Since you don't want to give up this time I'd make sure there are no bottles or formula in your home whatsoever!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleDanelle
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:30 PM
And gentian violet in case you get an infection!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleDanelle
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:35 PM
I wear nightgowns that have buttons on the chest too.

Stock up on easy to snack on foods and something to entertain yourself with wherever you will be nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN