Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Ok ladies. I'm determined to breastfeed longer than the hospital stay this time. I am going to need LOTS of encouragement. I always get so stressed out and frustrated with it that I give up. But not this time!!!!
With that said, what are some things I will need to make it easier on me. I'm a stay at home mom so the pump I don't 'need'. I'm talking things like...nursing tops? I bought a nursing cover up but didn't know if the nursing tops are actually something I need. How many nursing bras? What's easiest for night feedings (pj wise) basically some BTDT experiences that make it easier for you. Please help. And I'm serious about the encouragement lol I'm due in 5 weeks so we have time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
CowgirlMama0508
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Quoting MichelleDanelle:

I stay at home but use my pump for babysitting and solid meals, you may want one eventually.

One of those ice packs that can also be a heat pack,

Cotton bra pads for home,

I use disposable bra pads for out of the house, they hold more,

Lots of nipple cream!

I get cheap nursing bras at walmart also cheap jogging bras at another discount store - I found some with front clasps that are great! The nursing bras make it easier to be discreet in public tho,

Clothes I just reorganized my closet to only have tanks, lowcut, and button up tops,

I wear a tank to sleep but after first feeding I sleep in bra - they make a special bra for nursing at night, very comfie and accessable - I got mine at Wic,

Since you don't want to give up this time I'd make sure there are no bottles or formula in your home whatsoever!

Thats a good idea..Plus its 20 miles to the closest town and Im hoping that will stop me from just going and buying formula...its going to be a challenge to get 3 kids in the car as it is lol...

Thanks, whats a good manual pump?

Tasha (23) & Wacey (25) Married the love of my life on 4/5/2005
Loving mommy to Kylee (5) & Madison (2) Rowdy EDD: 9/3/11
~*~*~*Lovin my life as a OILFIELD WIFE~*~*~*

CowgirlMama0508
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Quoting MichelleDanelle:

I wear nightgowns that have buttons on the chest too.

Stock up on easy to snack on foods and something to entertain yourself with wherever you will be nursing.

What are some good snack foods to keep on hand?

MichelleDanelle
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM
One thing I wish I had had room for was a bassinet that side carred onto the bed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clo1988
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM
The only thing I feel made things easier were a couple nursing tanks! I wore them day and night the first few weeks and would just throw a shirt over them when I went out! Nursing pads were also a must the first couple months. I'm due in 5 weeks too :) I gave up with my first son after 2 weeks, nursed my second for 14 months until my supply disappeared due to pregnancy and plan to nurse this one until he self weans!
CowgirlMama0508
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Quoting clo1988:

The only thing I feel made things easier were a couple nursing tanks! I wore them day and night the first few weeks and would just throw a shirt over them when I went out! Nursing pads were also a must the first couple months. I'm due in 5 weeks too :) I gave up with my first son after 2 weeks, nursed my second for 14 months until my supply disappeared due to pregnancy and plan to nurse this one until he self weans!

Thats awesome!!! My first goal is to make it to my 6 week checkup...and we will see how its going then...My mom said to make a short term goal...then go from there...

Missbehaves
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:47 PM

You really dont need anything but boobs.  A boppy or brestfriend is helpful but you could use a pillow you already have.  I use nursing bras also.  I have never worn a nursing top or PJs.   Just don't wear gown type PJs unless they button or have a loose vneck.

CowgirlMama0508
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM
Thanks!!!

Quoting Missbehaves:

You really dont need anything but boobs.  A boppy or brestfriend is helpful but you could use a pillow you already have.  I use nursing bras also.  I have never worn a nursing top or PJs.   Just don't wear gown type PJs unless they button or have a loose vneck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Jul. 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM
I have never owned any nursing tops. when I was worried that showing extra skin would result in a chill, I'd layer a tank top under a shirt, lift one up, pull one down. (I don't cover for aesthetics ever, if you want to whatever floats your boat, I don't own a cover and have never used a blanket as a cover, I nurse anywhere and everywhere on demand)
I have three unworn nursing bras that I donated.
I use cloth breast pads as to protect from chemicals and such touching my breasts, as well as cloth are more breathable to help prevent thrush and pain. Also buying disposable can get expensive and fill land fills, same as disposable diapers.
I had a cheap $30 Walmart pump that has lasted almost 3 years. Even when I worked full time and pumped at work, I loved it. Evenflo pump.
In replacement of the lansinoh you can express a couple drops of breastmilk onto your nipples and let it air dry. Breast milk has many uses other than just nutrition, cures diaper rash(other than yeast), pink eye, ear infections, antibiotic properties are good for cuts and scraps, removes make up, etc.
Pj's I just wear a tee, bra and panties to bed.
I did have a couple boppy pillows but they got used as leg props and now my brothers use them.
I'm not a big buyer and like to keep natural things unmaterialized as much as possible. :)
I'd say the most important thing needed for a good lasting nursing relationship is a positive outlook. Get support and stay optimistic. :D you are doing a great job all ready. Contact your local La leche league too!!! :)
I have two current nursing children a 34.5 month old and a 15.5 month old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boom_maker
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 4:36 PM

i nursed my first for 29mo and currently nursing my 7mo old. the only things i need daily are breastpads (i work full time and dare not to leave the house without them), boobs and baby =) i had cloth pads but i leak heavily and they didn't work for me, i love the lansinoh brand ones. while i'm home i do not use pads, just place a burpie cloth over my nipple until my letdown is done. i do love nursing bras, i have 4. one is a sleep bra and is awesome.

i've never had a nursing tank though i've been interested. i just layer my tops when i know i'm going to be nursing when out. i bought a cover with my first but he hated being covered and i tried using it with my 2nd and he doesn't like it either so i just don't bother.

i think the 2 most important things you should do is: 1) find out where there are breastfeeding support meetings or your local le leche league and 2) do not have any formula or bottles in the house, do not even bring home the formula that the hospital will give you. if it's in the room, have them take it. make sure you constantly remind them you want to bf'd and do not let them give baby a bottle.

mamaS2011
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Nursing tanks are awesome. Not having to wear an uncomfortable bra, and not having to lift up my shirt are major pluses. You can layer button down or wrap tops over them too. The sling will come in handy, but I also keep a thin gauzy blanket (like the aden + anais ones) if I nurse in public. It draws less attention (if that is a concern for those around you, because you won't give a damn when your baby is hungry) than those nursing covers that my baby is not a fan of in this summer heat. Be prepared to nurse constantly for the first 8 weeks or so. If you have any pain, try lasinoh, cooling gel pads, etc. DON"T GIVE UP! It get's better, and when it does it will be smooth sailing! Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)