Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok ladies. I'm determined to breastfeed longer than the hospital stay this time. I am going to need LOTS of encouragement. I always get so stressed out and frustrated with it that I give up. But not this time!!!!
With that said, what are some things I will need to make it easier on me. I'm a stay at home mom so the pump I don't 'need'. I'm talking things like...nursing tops? I bought a nursing cover up but didn't know if the nursing tops are actually something I need. How many nursing bras? What's easiest for night feedings (pj wise) basically some BTDT experiences that make it easier for you. Please help. And I'm serious about the encouragement lol I'm due in 5 weeks so we have time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
AshlynnRose
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM

OK I literally LIVED in my rocking chair for like the first 3 months... so I would def suggest one of those. lol We got one on Walmart.com for like 139 or something. I would also reccommend the My Brest Friend nursing pillow. It has a lot more body to it than the Boppy and is a little stiffer, so baby does smoosh all down into it like they do with the Boppy (at least from my experience). It also positions baby at the perfect height for nursing so you dont have to hold their head up or anything and you can just focus on getting  good latch and supporting ur breast with you hand. Lanolin is a MUST. Nursing pads are pretty important too - for the first few months or so. You definitely need at nursing tanks and bras. They are made so that you can upsnap the boob part and feed ur baby. its a lot easier than pulling down an undershirt or whenever. Nursing tanks are AWESOME for when you are out and about and will need to feed baby. The bras are good for when you are going around town as well, but your belly will show if you have to feed baby. I like the way the bras look under slothes better than the tanks, but thats just me. A nursing cover is a good thing to have to, but get baby used to having it over them early on, cause I tried when baby was older and she WAS NOT having it at all. She would just throw it off lol. To sleep I wouldnt wear anything actually. In the beginning you are gonna leak like crazy overnight, so just put a towel under you or something. IDK thats what I did. 

CowgirlMama0508
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:06 AM
I'm writing all this down! Thanks sooo much ladies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brynna
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 2:05 PM
I bought two nursing bras,but barely use them.also need nursing pads because I leak alot. At night I wear underwear and sometimes a tank,I cosleep. And I have a pump for those times he doesn't eat alot and i have to empty breasts or is too uncomfortable.
Good luck. I gave up with my first too frustrating but this time we are doing good.
CowgirlMama0508
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Quoting brynna:

I bought two nursing bras,but barely use them.also need nursing pads because I leak alot. At night I wear underwear and sometimes a tank,I cosleep. And I have a pump for those times he doesn't eat alot and i have to empty breasts or is too uncomfortable.
Good luck. I gave up with my first too frustrating but this time we are doing good.

I was thinking of just buying 3 or 4 nursing tanks and getting some breast pads...I also think just a nursing/regular tank and panties to bed also..Im hoping to NOT co-sleep, I know its easier (Im sure I'll start doing it later on) but my girls were SO hard to get back into their beds...I think I will get just a manual pump for when I need it.

good luck to you too..we can do this!!! thanks so much

Tasha (23) & Wacey (25) Married the love of my life on 4/5/2005
Loving mommy to Kylee (5) & Madison (2) Rowdy EDD: 9/3/11
~*~*~*Lovin my life as a OILFIELD WIFE~*~*~*

Lisa009
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2011 at 5:29 AM

Lansinoh lanolin ...start ptting on nipples to keep skin soft and moisturized ASAP before birth. Apply each time after nursing.

A "Brestfriend" for nursing. A bean bag, microwavable, to put on breast right away if you start to get mastitis.

No underwire nursing bras ...I had a flesh, (2) white and black one.  

MrsNocke
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 5:43 AM

We are all here for ya.. I dont wear nursing bras. I wear spaghetti string tops under all my clothes with nursing pads stuck inside then I just have t shirts on over that... I do the same thing for bed. :)

CowgirlMama0508
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 9:16 AM
Thank you!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayDziedzic
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I'm a SAHM, BFing my 3rd child after giving up BFing my first two. 

I love camis/stretchy tanks for bed, and layering for NIP. Just pull the top down to nurse. I have 7 nursing bras, but usually just rotate between my 3 favorites (same bra, in white, black, and nude). If you can afford a pump, even a hand pump, it's good to have on hand. Nursing pads. Familiarize yourself with kellymom.com (a great resource, especially for 3 am questions). Read as much as you can (I liked The Complete Book of Breastfeeding). Keep browsing this group for real moms' issues and how they've resolved them. Ask outright for help when you need it, don't just drop hints. Stay well-hydrated.

You can do it! There will be rough spots, but you can get through them. One night, dead tired, you'll realize your LO just latched on by themself, and you'll feel the greatest sense of accomplishment. Good luck!

MaskedMomma
by Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

where in the world did you get your bras? Your pre-preg and your preg sizes are the same as mine. I'm having the baby in 3 days now, and going to attempt breastfeeding again. I have a hard enough time finding regular bras let alone nursing bras or sports bras or anything else...

Quoting deccaf:

Prepreg I was a 34DD.  Prego I was a 40F.  I am currently a 36I (yes, the letter that follows H).  You may need to wait until nursing is established to get a true right sized bra.  I would get a sport bra in the meantime as they are usually small, medium, large.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

I am loving your last sentence!!!! I have a boppy (actually 2 haha) I think I will buy a nice pair of nursing pjs. What size nursing bra should I get? My normal size? Right now I'm a 38d. Pre-pregnancy I'm a 38c. Hubby is on board...lol

Quoting deccaf:

Sleep without a shirt, expecially since it will be summer.  You will be more comfortable.  If you cosleep, this is just providing easier access for baby, less wakeup time for you.  Get a boppy or my breast friend.  It really does help especially when baby is attached to your breast.  Also good for the times you need to put him/her down for a second.  Lansinoh for sore/tender breasts, maybe some pads, I got reusable and just washed them.  SNACKS.  Something you can eat one handed, preferable room temp, as anything hot or cold will likely be room temp by the time you eat it anyway.  A supportive hubby or something to hit him upside the head with when he is being a silly boy and not supporting you or helping you.

deccaf
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Nordstrom was the only place that came close.  You can be fitted, they sell nursing bras, and many are online.

Quoting MaskedMomma:

where in the world did you get your bras? Your pre-preg and your preg sizes are the same as mine. I'm having the baby in 3 days now, and going to attempt breastfeeding again. I have a hard enough time finding regular bras let alone nursing bras or sports bras or anything else...

Quoting deccaf:

Prepreg I was a 34DD.  Prego I was a 40F.  I am currently a 36I (yes, the letter that follows H).  You may need to wait until nursing is established to get a true right sized bra.  I would get a sport bra in the meantime as they are usually small, medium, large.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

I am loving your last sentence!!!! I have a boppy (actually 2 haha) I think I will buy a nice pair of nursing pjs. What size nursing bra should I get? My normal size? Right now I'm a 38d. Pre-pregnancy I'm a 38c. Hubby is on board...lol

Quoting deccaf:

Sleep without a shirt, expecially since it will be summer.  You will be more comfortable.  If you cosleep, this is just providing easier access for baby, less wakeup time for you.  Get a boppy or my breast friend.  It really does help especially when baby is attached to your breast.  Also good for the times you need to put him/her down for a second.  Lansinoh for sore/tender breasts, maybe some pads, I got reusable and just washed them.  SNACKS.  Something you can eat one handed, preferable room temp, as anything hot or cold will likely be room temp by the time you eat it anyway.  A supportive hubby or something to hit him upside the head with when he is being a silly boy and not supporting you or helping you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)