Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you survive teething???

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:38 AM
  • 8 Replies

DS is 6 months old and his first tooth is about to come through the gum. Feeding him HURTS!! I don't know what to do to help things go easier for us. I never made it this far with my dd. I EP'ed for her from 3 months on. I'm trying to just push through it, but it's hard. Worst case is I pump from here on out. I was just looking for suggestions to help us get through this.

by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Teach him nursing manners. Biting = no food.

A baby can't bite and nurse at the same time (the tongue covers up the bottom teeth) so, if he's biting, he's not eating, which means he's dicking around. lol Take him off the breast, tell him NO (gently bu firmly). If he keeps it off, close down the breastaurant. lol

There's info in the Resources sticky about teething. "When Babies Attack!" Read that.

lisakansas
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:12 AM

:( That stinks...I never really had any trouble with my boys' teething, they only got bottom teeth while I was nursing them and I never felt their teeth at all (I suspect their tongues were in the way).  They were weaned by the time the top teeth came in.

lakissakay
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Did anyone tell you how to stop him from biting? They can't bite and suck at the same time so when he starts to bite, push his face into your breast until he lets go. It might take several times, but he will get the idea.
If you can't take it anymore or he doesn't learn fast enough, you can get nipple sheilds.

Pumping every time is twice as much work! I hope you don't have to resort to that.

Also, to help with the stress since he is probably crying a lot, try wearing the baby if possible.

Mrs.E.
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:27 PM

He's not really biting me. I do correct him when he does that. But since yesterday, wherever his lower jaw is causes excruciating pain (more pain than usual since my nipples always hurt anyway). And he's crying in pain while he's eating.The teething tablets just knock him out and then he doesn't eat. I just gave him some tylenol, which seems to have calmed him, but I'm still in pain!! I really don't know what to do!

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:29 PM
Lmao at breastaurant!!! I agree, nursing manners. I didn't teach my dd any manners till way way too late and she's only recently stopped pinching me, at 18m.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovingIT2008
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:33 PM
I'm not sure. My little guy has two top teeth and two bottom teeth and I wouldn't call it biting but it definitely hurts after a couple of feedings now. Kinds like he might be grinding his teeth on my nipple while he's feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovingIT2008
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:34 PM
***kinda***
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 2:48 AM

It helps to offer teething remedies prior to nursing and when nursing ensure baby is taking a proper, deep latch. 

Crunchy Moms ~ Lactivist ~ Natural Family Planning
                              ♥♥♥♥ Join me in some of these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN