Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding and pacifier

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM
  • 23 Replies
My son was in the NICU after we had him and he was not aloud to eat, be held or anything or the first 24hrs or so. I told them no pacifier or anything of the sort. But he was absolutely miserable and needed to be soothed so I decided he could have one. Since we have been home I've caved twice because I couldn't handle being his pacifier. It hurt and I'm not sure it's a great idea but I dont know if giving him a pacifier is better. He is my first and he is now 1 week and 2 days. My question is do any of you ladies that EBF give your LOs pacifiers? If so do you have any problems with latching? I haven't but I don't want to end up having to give him a bottle.

The nurses at the hospital claim there shouldnt be a problem but it still worries me. I would just like to know what your personal opinions and experiences are.

Oh and he is teaching himself to suck his thumb. He is definitely a "sucker" I really don't know which would be best for him I figure they all have their downfalls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof2grls06
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM
My 4 month old has had a bink since she was about 3 weeks old. She takes the mam and avent ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM

If there is no effect on his latch and you are not replacing times that he should be on the breast with the paci, I see no problem.  Be aware, though, that they can affect latch and suck and if used too much, amounts of time fed at the breast.  If you use it as a last ditch effort, though, I wouldn't worry.  Know, too, that he's coming up on a growth spurt and he's likely going to want to nurse more.  I wouldn't use the paci then unless in the car or needing to shower, or something of that nature.  Allow him full access tot he breast during growth spurts.

Kelly2573
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I do EBF and given her a paci since birth, has not effected milk production. She still sleeps with it, she is a sucker too.... I don't see any issue with it. Every child is different so I would say yes go ahead and give a paci.

personal.legend
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:00 PM

my daughter has no problem latching and she's had a paci since we got home from the hospital. 

lcm3181
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Me too, and I agee with her

Quoting Kelly2573:

I do EBF and given her a paci since birth, has not effected milk production. She still sleeps with it, she is a sucker too.... I don't see any issue with it. Every child is different so I would say yes go ahead and give a paci.

leesha668
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM
My son is a sucker too. He's had a paci since he was born and we have been ebf for 5 months now.
tarinah
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:10 PM

both my kids were ebf and both had paci's from birth, i never had any problems :)

TotallyConfused
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Personally I don't give pacifiers, but if I were going to I would want to wait at least 6 weeks to get bf well established.

Sucking on a paci releases the same hormone that tells baby it's full, so giving it early *can* interfere with milk supply, if you are giving it when baby should actually be nursing ...

Bc I wasn't sure I could tell the difference, I skipped it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GunPwderNlead
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM
My ebf baby has had a binky since birth with no problems!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Asmith101
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM
The only time he has had it so far was after he finished bf and was just sleeping and suckling like i was his pacifier.

Was there a certain time you let your LOs have the pacifier?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)