• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it hard to BF after a c-section?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:34 AM
  • 27 Replies

i plan on BF only and i dont work so no pump

im having a c-section and im worred im going to be in a lot of pain anyone else?
is it going to ruin me BF sense im having c-section? its scaring me, b.c i want so badly to BF and be with baby 24-7 :)

any advice or tips??? ive watched some position videos on  how to hold baby

also do the pain meds interfer with breast milk?

pregnancy week by week
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maddys1mommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:39 AM

They wont give you any pain meds that baby isnt supposed to have if they know you are BF. I had a CS with my first and I was able to do it just as easily as I did with my other 2 that were born VBAC. If you set your mind to it you can definitly so do it! :) Good luck!

wifeyladie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:46 AM

My experience was that I used a hospital pillow to help support my son because the boppy was too uncomfortable and big. I don't know the name of the hold, but I was holding him with his tummy to mine. I found that the pain of my uterus contracting during breastfeeding (which is completely normal) was severe. I don't remember what med the dr had me on after the section, but it wasn't working so I asked to switch to Percocet. I had had percocet after the section with my first son and it did wonders. I didn't notice any problems with supply and taking the med; however, I didn't take the med long at all. I would make sure that as soon as you get to the hospital that you make it known that you are going to breastfeed. I know the hospital here puts a sign on the baby's "bed" concerning your wishes about breastfeeding and pacifiers. Also make sure that the person who is going to go with your LO to the nursery after the section knows that you are going to bf. I've had the experience that the nursery wanted to give him a bottle to make sure that he was "ok" until I could feed him. Thankfully dh was right there with him and demanded no bottles. Relax mama, I'm sure you'll do fine; however, if you have questions or concerns, there are some GREAT ladies here in this group that will be more than glad to help.

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Meds weren't even a question, I got the same stuff as my friends who didn't BF. Morphine for the surgery and 24 hours after, and Motrin, simethicone, and percocet. With my first I didn't use the percocet at all in the hospital, only motrin after the IV was out but with my 2nd I used the motrin and percocet as often as allowed and had no problems BFing. I had no issues BFing after either c section, the only somewhat difficult part is getting baby out of the bassinet if no one is around to help you at first. I just kept my daughter in bed with me and that helped a lot. I nursed DD within an hour of her birth easily.

lilblu399
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:48 AM
It CAN be more of a challenge, but don't let it deter you, I had 2 kids via Csection and did good BF. My DD was especially hard since she had to be in the nicu for 30hrs but we
overcame that, she is 6 months and still going.
The best position for me is laying down on your side and nursing, if you have to sit up a boppy will be the best thing to get. When you are on the pain meds, it does go into the milk(they gave me percocet) and baby can be drowsy and sleep a bit more, don't rush into a schedule just feed on demand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:51 AM
My first was a c section. Make sure everyone knows no pacifiers or bottles.
Despite complications (an infection that finally responded to the 4th iv antibiotic and ds having severe jaundice with levels at 27. 30 can cause brain damage) ds never had a bottle or formula. He self weaned at 23 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
texas_mama
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:19 AM
I had 3 c-sections & bf all 3 w/no problems. The only pain I had was while nursing your uterus contracts, but it really isn't so bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
texas_mama
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:24 AM
Agree on laying down to feed once you are able to move around & not so sore, my hospital gave me a little pillow that I put under baby or you can use a boppy & co-sleeping if you trust yourself helps a lot. I was given hydrocodone 500mg w/my c-sections. Good luck.

Quoting mnt_2_b_mommy:

Meds weren't even a question, I got the same stuff as my friends who didn't BF. Morphine for the surgery and 24 hours after, and Motrin, simethicone, and percocet. With my first I didn't use the percocet at all in the hospital, only motrin after the IV was out but with my 2nd I used the motrin and percocet as often as allowed and had no problems BFing. I had no issues BFing after either c section, the only somewhat difficult part is getting baby out of the bassinet if no one is around to help you at first. I just kept my daughter in bed with me and that helped a lot. I nursed DD within an hour of her birth easily.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newwifenmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I dont think it was hard but positioning is important, you don't want to place baby on your belly for a while. Pain meds shouldn't interfere as long as they know you are BF.

Allebas
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I've had 3 c-sections. I found the football hold the easiest way for the first few days after the c-section. If you need to, you can also place a pillow over your lower abdomen and put baby on the pillow and nurse that way so baby is NOT directly ON your incision. It will get less painful with time and you can do it!! GOOD LUCK!! : )

kate.oneill
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I don't have any personal exp. with it but I think if you set your mind to it, you can do it. You clearly want to do it - that sort of mindset is vital regardless of delivery.

Make sure you tell the docs: no formula, no pacifiers, no artificial nipples of any kind.  Ask for baby as soon as you can have him/her.  You can do it!

Congrats & good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)