• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! supply still low....

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:38 AM
  • 17 Replies
I had previously posted that after a trip to Disney away from my DS I noticed a huge drop in supply. Well its been 4 days and nothing has helped I've been up all night with a screaming baby who will only stop crying when he falls asleep from trying to get something from my breasts. I've been power pumping. Pumping after feedings eating oatmeal drinking lots of water and have not noticed any increase. But what scares me most is its been 10 hours and he still has a dry diaper. Yesterday he had 6 wets but 4 of those were at daycare so who really knows and the "wets" he has home are not so wet, just wet enough to change the line blue. And no poops in the last 4 days. I'm freaking out I feel like he's starving. What do I do??? I feel like I've already failed. I can't lay in bed and nurse all day until Saturday. I work full time and pump every 2 hours as it is. And I barely get anything with pumping maybe an ounce. I used to get 5. Please help me. I don't want to call his Dr and be told to give formula. This was always my biggest fear and I feel like its happened =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Sounds like supply regulated, getting an oz when pumping is actually normal....syucks but when an oversupply is not maintained pumping goes down.

2-4 months is bad for baby acting this way, I doubt its your supply.  One day will not kill supply but it will take away oversupply.

How much does he  get in bottles each day in what amount of time?  He's wanting the fullness and easiness of the bottles when you are together.  He is getting enough daily total if geeting 6 wet.  They don't base their wants on each feed its on daily total, the way BF babies tummy works is so differemt its used to varying feed amounts.

HAve you taken 12 fenufreek a day?  How much water?  Can you get some more milk plus pills/liquid?

LaylasMaMa06
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM
He gets a little under 3 ounces in a bottle but he never ever finishes it. He usually takes 4 to 6 oz a day. I'm away for 9 hrs. I'm going to start fenugreek today. If supply is regulated will it help? DS is so miserable I don't know what to do! I drink about 8 bottles of water a day and I cut caffeine. So 2-4 month holds this is normal behavior? You mean he's not starving =) coulda fooled me!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Sounds like supply regulated, getting an oz when pumping is actually normal....syucks but when an oversupply is not maintained pumping goes down.

2-4 months is bad for baby acting this way, I doubt its your supply.  One day will not kill supply but it will take away oversupply.

How much does he  get in bottles each day in what amount of time?  He's wanting the fullness and easiness of the bottles when you are together.  He is getting enough daily total if geeting 6 wet.  They don't base their wants on each feed its on daily total, the way BF babies tummy works is so differemt its used to varying feed amounts.

HAve you taken 12 fenufreek a day?  How much water?  Can you get some more milk plus pills/liquid?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Could just be a growth spurt combined with your stress from thinking supply is down.  The timing of the Disney trip could just be a coincidence.   Try to relax and have faith your supply is fine and you're pumping output will probably increase. 

LaylasMaMa06
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:12 AM
I try to be confident and then DS gets upset then I stress out and think this is the end! So should I take the fenugreek???

Quoting FLmommy0204:

Could just be a growth spurt combined with your stress from thinking supply is down.  The timing of the Disney trip could just be a coincidence.   Try to relax and have faith your supply is fine and you're pumping output will probably increase. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lanie1595
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Take the fenugreek, it won't hurt.  Nurse on demand when you can.  Also, do a really good check and make sure something else isn't wrong, is he teething, does he have an ear infection?  Babies can be uspet for lots of reason that don't have anything to do with tummy.  Babies will also try and feed all the time if they have an upset tummy.  Tummy not happy for any reason tells them to feed, so if he's constipated, then he may keep trying to feed and not hungry.  If your getting something from pumping, then he's can get something.  I would watch the diaper count, and do what your instinct tell you, take a deep breath and think calmly.

LaylasMaMa06
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:26 AM
Thank you. I was thinking it may be teething but this early? Drool literally just pours out of his mouth all day but I can't see or feel any teeth...

Quoting lanie1595:

Take the fenugreek, it won't hurt.  Nurse on demand when you can.  Also, do a really good check and make sure something else isn't wrong, is he teething, does he have an ear infection?  Babies can be uspet for lots of reason that don't have anything to do with tummy.  Babies will also try and feed all the time if they have an upset tummy.  Tummy not happy for any reason tells them to feed, so if he's constipated, then he may keep trying to feed and not hungry.  If your getting something from pumping, then he's can get something.  I would watch the diaper count, and do what your instinct tell you, take a deep breath and think calmly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunnyflower417
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM
My DD had 2 teeth by 4 months and my ods had 2 by 8 wks. So teething is def a possibility. My DD went through the same kind of behavior because my oversupply regulated. Before she would just have to initiate let down and my let down was so forceful she didn't have to work for her food, just sprayed in:) she got lazy! But she adjusted to it, give it some time! Do whT you're doing until Saturday, them have a nursing vacation. And fenugreek.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:49 AM
Hylands teething tablets and amber necklace will help alot. Also if he was hungry he would want more bottles at daycare...sounds like grumpy baby and stress and supply regulation. Crying is the LAST sign of hunger. Fenugreek can't hurt, try it 9-12 a day

Quoting LaylasMaMa06:

Thank you. I was thinking it may be teething but this early? Drool literally just pours out of his mouth all day but I can't see or feel any teeth...

Quoting lanie1595:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaylasMaMa06
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:23 PM
Here's the best part! I was half asleep this morning and forgot my pump parts in the sterilizer so now I'm stuck at work all day with no pump. FML
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM

hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)