Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding and working out

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:00 AM
  • 11 Replies

What kind of toning excerise did everyone do if they did any while breastfeeding? I read some where not to do a whole lot of working out untill after two months so milk supply has enough time to fully be where it has to be. my son will be two months Aug 25th and Im ready to excerise. I did not gain any weight while pregnant i lost 17lb instead. so im ready to lose everything else lol.  Any advice would be great.

Thanks again

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Khuerta
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:18 AM
do NOT over do it! Seriously, if yoy push your body too hard, you are releasing toxins into your blood stream that will go through breast milk and can seriously harm baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:32 AM

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

basically you need 1200 calories a day after working out and breastfeeding....so find out how much you are burning when working out add that to the 1200 plus 500 for your millk supply and you'll be good. Oh and stay hydrated!!!!

My baby girl is 6wks old and ive been doing some small workouts here at home for 2wks and just last weekend i did 3hrs of zumba for a fundraising event, no harm done to my supply.

larissalarie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:19 PM
I am a runner and I certainly didn't wait 2 months! More like 2 weeks :-) People like to make up all sorts of crazy rules for us breastfeeding moms. The vast majority are old wives tales. Just get plenty of hydration and a normal diet and you can do whatever you want. I've trained for marathons nursing. I also did a half marathon at 22 weeks pregnant while still nursing my almost 2 year old (at the time)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:21 PM

After you get cleared by your doctor, you can do whatever exercise you want.  

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM

You may do ANY exercise you desire... just don't do two ironman triathlons in the same day.

MommyNWifey04
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 3:26 AM

awesome thanks ladies :)

RunninMa
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Bump!

RunninMa
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:40 AM

THANK YOU so much for posting this! I am a marathoner/ultramarathoner pregnant with my first and am already excited to start running again after birth. I had to stop about a month ago due to it being too uncomfortable (almost painful) and just walk now. I'm always going to put my baby's healthy first, but if there is a way for him or her to healthily breast feed AND I can get back into marathon shape, then we'll all be happy! :) :)  This was really enouraging to read - thank you!

Quoting larissalarie:

I am a runner and I certainly didn't wait 2 months! More like 2 weeks :-) People like to make up all sorts of crazy rules for us breastfeeding moms. The vast majority are old wives tales. Just get plenty of hydration and a normal diet and you can do whatever you want. I've trained for marathons nursing. I also did a half marathon at 22 weeks pregnant while still nursing my almost 2 year old (at the time)

RomansMommy0108
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:46 AM
I did some 10 min ab dvd's also a mommy and me yoga class and I had a dvd of it and I did the treadmill 30 mins at a time a few times a week As long as you keep your calories up your milk will be fine!
lisakansas
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I'm trying to remember when I started working out, it was so long ago...I think I started around 6 weeks postpartum with both boys, low-impact aerobics at first.  Wear a VERY supportive bra!  :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)