Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not Fully Waking Up To Eat

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM
  • 8 Replies

The past week and a half of so, my 2 month old isn't fully waking up to eat at night. He whines a little and rustles around about 2AM after going to sleep about 8PM. I will get him up, change his diaper, and we'll go to the living room.  By the time we make it to the couch, he's back asleep almost.  I can put him to my breast and his mouth only opens about half way.  I haven't been able to get him good and awake no matter what I try.  I have taken his clothes off, put more clothes on, touched him with cold hands, let him wake up to cry, turned more lights on, kept him in his bed longer, turning up whatever noise we have up. . .etc.  (He also did this in the hospital.  After about 20 minutes of being awake, he wanted to sleep for 5-ish hours.  My mom, several nurses, and the LC would wake him and as soon as his little body touched my chest, he was out.)  I have had to deal with him being latched incorrectly and wanted to see if anybody had any other ideas on how to wake him.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Hecate9
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM
As long as he's otherwise eating good, I would just let him sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:03 AM

At 2 months, if no weight gain issues, let him sleep.  Babies will often wake throughout the night and go right back to sleep.  Let him rustle around for a few minutes to see if he quites on his own. 

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM
DS slept 9:30-3:30 from 2-3 months, almost every night. Enjoy it - DS is now up 2-3 times from 9:30-5:30!

Quoting FLmommy0204:

At 2 months, if no weight gain issues, let him sleep.  Babies will often wake throughout the night and go right back to sleep.  Let him rustle around for a few minutes to see if he quites on his own. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momadrift
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM
Trade ya! My 6 month old was up every hour last few nights and then only nurses for 10 minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LondonsMomma84
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Like all the pp's have said, if he's gaining well and there are no other issues, let him sleep. :)

sunshine.hale
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Quoting momadrift:

Trade ya! My 6 month old was up every hour last few nights and then only nurses for 10 minutes.

My husband and I have truly been blessed with sleepy babies.  We had a friend over a few weeks ago who has a baby the same age as our youngest and she does NOT sleep!  She would nap for 5-10 minutes every 45 minutes or so and that was it.  We've had our own restless nights, but I truly have to give props to all the mommies that have such sleepless nights.

mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM
If you can settle him back down without eating, then enjoy the sleep! He doesn't HAVE to eat at night :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RichMommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM
My dd slept 8 hours through the night from day 1. She nursed well.otherwise so no worries.
Enjoy your sleep if hts nursing well in daytime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)