Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh!! I have food poisoning!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM
  • 11 Replies
So yeah I have food poisoning and I'm nursing my 12 week old and I have a toddler. Does anyone know if I can take Zofran for the nausea? I have some left over from a previous stint of the flu. I can't find any info on the net.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motheram
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM
I can't find any info either, but I was on it the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy. We also give it to older infants in the ER.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
horseap
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Call a pharmacy... they should be able to tell you.   http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/ondansetron.html  Thats all I found.  It always makes my tummy STOP so if you take it watch baby for being crampy and backed up...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM
If its safe during pregnancy it should while nursing..google lact med database and look there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:04 PM

its safe during pregnancy and my friend took it while still nursing her daughter while pregnant too so id imagine it would be fine to take.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM
Never trust a. Doctor or pharmacist with medication and bfing info. Contact a lc or dr hales infant risk hotline. Lact med doesn't list Zofran I dunno why.

Quoting horseap:

Call a pharmacy... they should be able to tell you.   http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/ondansetron.html  Thats all I found.  It always makes my tummy STOP so if you take it watch baby for being crampy and backed up...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
horseap
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Try looking under the name ondansetron orally disintegration tabs or sub-lingual tables something along those lines its a generic for zofran.

motheram
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:03 PM
I looked in my drug book. It's a pregnancy category B. It does not list a lactation category.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yuriko_chan
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I would think since it's safe to take during pregnancy, that it's safe to take while nursing.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I agree with Tabi.

I think that it has been mentioned here before and is safe.  Maybe someone with Dr. Hale's book can look it up.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Never trust a. Doctor or pharmacist with medication and bfing info. Contact a lc or dr hales infant risk hotline. Lact med doesn't list Zofran I dunno why.

Quoting horseap:

Lilypie - (wn9y)

mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Yes, you can take it.  Dr. Hale has it as an L2.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)