• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PPD ? (PIOG)

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

I finally talked to my husband about this and he is wanting me to get some advice.  I never want to go anywhere anymore without my kids.  When he does get me out of the house, I get extremely anxious and can only think of getting home to them as fast as possible.  He is wondering if I have a form of PPD.  I had a very difficult birth (when I woke up from anesthesia, I didn't know if my baby was even alive) and I think I worry about her more because of it.  I don't want to be this worried but it just happens as soon as we leave.  I get antsy, my stomach tightens up, I start to get emotional and very stressed.  I was not like this with my first child and I don't know what to do.  Any advice?  Isn't it too late to get PPD?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM
I had PPD and that doesnt sound like it. More like anxiety/panic disorder and maybe PTSD which i also have both. Do some reseach into all three and talk to your doctor about them and what your feeling cause only a medical professional can diagnose you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:55 PM

The label isn't as important as your recognizing that something isn't right... now it's time to take the next step and see your doc.

Poisongirl98
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM
You can get PPD/anxiety anywhere up to a year after birth, and you mayalso have PTSD. I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it. Traumatic births really can be hard for a woman to handle, and I think OB's need to be on the lookout for mood disorders even more so than they should for all mpostpartum women.
UkranianMom2
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:06 AM
I'm not sure what you have.. but I had mild ppd about two months after my youngest was born. It got a bit better temporary and now I am at an all time low 11 months later. It started getting much worse around 8ish months. So I would imagine that what you have may be related to your traumatic birth. How old is your baby? I would say anywhere up to a year wouldn't surprise me to have ppd. A lot happens within that year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HoBo86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Quoting UkranianMom2:

I'm not sure what you have.. but I had mild ppd about two months after my youngest was born. It got a bit better temporary and now I am at an all time low 11 months later. It started getting much worse around 8ish months. So I would imagine that what you have may be related to your traumatic birth. How old is your baby? I would say anywhere up to a year wouldn't surprise me to have ppd. A lot happens within that year.

She will be 6 months in a week. 

HoBo86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:45 PM

So now that I have worked up the courage to talk about it, and no one has told me I'm crazy (which is why I didn't want to say anything, stupid, I know.) what doctor do I talk to?  My OB or my Family Dr.? 

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM
Talk to either but your ob may know more about ppd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
songbird2716
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM
I was almost expecting to struggle w/ PPD because I have a family history of it, and I have struggled w/ depression before. I was lucky enough to not have it too bad. For me it consisted of nightly panic attacks for about the first 5 days. I would suddenly feel overwhelmed with the responsibility of having a new baby...how could I possibly give this perfect, delicate, innocent little human everything it needed?! I would cry histerically for a good 30 min then fall asleep and wake up fine. It was like, PPd lite. Lol.

My good friend Kelli is a doula/childbirth instructor/blogger and she shared her story w/ PPD and anxiety on her blog recently. If you're interested on reading her story you can find it at www.hipsterhomemaker.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ardiaxe
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:25 AM
This sounds like post traumatic stress due to a difficult birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Talk to whichever doc will see you fastest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)