• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding & lymph node (thinking about stopping)

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM
  • 4 Replies

Ladies my lymph node in my right armpit became very tender off and on during my pregnancy. I brought it to my Dr's attention and he wasnt too concerned. It's now 4 weeks postpartum,I'm breastfeeding and it still is very tender and slightly enlarged. I brought it up to him again and he said he's not concerned and something about how my body is reacting to breastfeeding. Anyway, I brought it up to my primary care and she put me on amoxicillin, and wants to do an ultrasound of the area. I was just wondering has anyone experienced this? Im really thinking about stopping if it's really the way my body is reacting cause it's very uncomfortable.

Just a little side note, the same lymph node became enlarged and very tender during my second pregnancy when my milk came in but I did not breast feed my daughter and it went down after I dried up so I really cant compare it to my previous pregnancies.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:39 PM
Breast tissue extends into the arm pits. When I got engorged, I couldn't even put my arms down at my sides. It may not be a lymph node at all, but a milk duct. If it's still enlarged, can they drain it? Or can you try warmth and massage with nursing and pumping to get it to go away?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyx2BG
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Yes, I just learned that this pregnancy that breast tissue extends all the way up there. It's not that enlarged where it needs to be drained but it's very tender. The tenderness comes and goes but it's very uncomfortable. I've tried everything but nothing seems to be working to help with the pain. I have an appt next week with my primary care as a follow up and then an appt. a week after that with my OB for my 6wk pp check up.I'm thinking of waiting till then on determining whether or not to continue with breastfeeding but I honestly dont think that this is going to get better without stopping.

mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I would definitely wait until then to make a decision.  It might get better by then as well, as your supply again begins to regulate.  Have you tried using Motrin to help with the tenderness?

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:12 PM

It could be a plugged duct.  Try the remedies in this article.  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)