Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't eat oatmeal anymore. :(

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM
  • 14 Replies

I love oatmeal. Even before nursing, I used to eat oatmeal like once a day. Since nursing I cut it back to like twice or less a week because I have a large milk supply. Now I think I have to cut it out completely because the days I eat oatmeal, he gulps so fast and hard I can hear it hit the bottom of his stomach, even while nursing reclined. Then he will cough and choke or pull off and it will spray EVERYWHERE. All over the computer, the boppy pillow, freaking everywhere. I love oatmeal. :(

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I;m sorry :( 

littlelambe
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Awww, I"m sorry. I haven't been able to eat oatmeal in over a year for this very reason - that and both times I've eaten it, I've gotten clogged ducts from way too much milk.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:33 PM

How old is the baby? In the beginning I had a large milk supply and oal. I don't think that cutting out oatmeal will make much of a difference, if any.  I do think though that block feeding will help A LOT. Your supply depends on the baby nursing, not on those extra things like oatmeal and fenugreek. Those are just extras to help support supply, but what actually determines your supply is your baby. In the beginning though, before supply is regulated (is that theright word), yor body has the potential of making enough milk for twins or triplets etc.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I'm sorry.  : (  

I can't stand the stuff, so I'm glad that I never felt the need for supply issues.

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM

3 1/2 months. Been block feeding since he was 2 weeks old and have done great but whenever I eat oatmeal, it's back to being crazy crazy. I block feed on one breast for 2-3 feedings, even if it's been like 8 hours since my other breast got fed from. I can usually control it just fine but if he sleeps through the night, then I have a ton of milk and can pump so much in like two minutes. If I eat oatmeal, I start leaking and spraying and he starts choking and coughing LOL.

Quoting Precious333:

How old is the baby? In the beginning I had a large milk supply and oal. I don't think that cutting out oatmeal will make much of a difference, if any.  I do think though that block feeding will help A LOT. Your supply depends on the baby nursing, not on those extra things like oatmeal and fenugreek. Those are just extras to help support supply, but what actually determines your supply is your baby. In the beginning though, before supply is regulated (is that theright word), yor body has the potential of making enough milk for twins or triplets etc.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM

your breast must be super sensative! Have you ever considered donating milk?

Quoting PEEK05:

3 1/2 months. Been block feeding since he was 2 weeks old and have done great but whenever I eat oatmeal, it's back to being crazy crazy. I block feed on one breast for 2-3 feedings, even if it's been like 8 hours since my other breast got fed from. I can usually control it just fine but if he sleeps through the night, then I have a ton of milk and can pump so much in like two minutes. If I eat oatmeal, I start leaking and spraying and he starts choking and coughing LOL.

Quoting Precious333:

Julia: wife of Drew, christian, pro-life, homebirthing, AP mom of Damien and Gavin, baby Harley 2/09-3/09, Mason 9-19-2010  Isaiah 66:10-13

teachermama81
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I had the SAME problem.   I even sotpped eating my beloved oatmeal cookies!

lifetimelove
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:45 PM

We have the same issue.  I found it got a lot better around 6 months.  I still get major oversupply, but he handles it fine now.  =)  So I get to make my morning steel cut oats once or twice a week.  YUM!

Oh, and I do 12 hour blocks as well, that helps for us.

Barronbaby
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:47 PM
Same here. I local my oatmeal raisin granola bars but it seems like I'm pumping more when I eat them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:23 PM
I have to eat oatmeal to increase my supply, otherwise my daughter barely gets enough... so I know what you mean. The stuff makes a difference! Maybe instead, you can incorporate it into your meals somehow so you still get some but it isn't all at once?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)