Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ready to ditch the pump!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:21 PM
  • 6 Replies
My son will be a year old in 2 weeks and i am so done with the pump. I just found out i'm expecting again so i want a break before it is attached to me for another year. The question is how do i go about it i still want to nurse him when i'm home but i work full time so i have been pumping to send bm to daycare. He does well with whole milk and has been getting a few ounces with dinner for a few weeks now so i know that won't be a problem. Do i have to wean off the pump the same way i would wean him? I will wait till he is a year but i am so ready to be done but i don't want to screw up my supply. I know it will eventually since i'm pg.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
celestegood
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Yes, slowly start backing off of pumpings...but to be honest, at this stage, you should be able to just stop, as I'm sure your supply has regulated. 

When my son was one and I had been pumping, I just stopped pumping.  No engorgement, nothing. 

Why are you pumping?  Do you have a baby with tongue tie, or another physical reason he can't nurse?  Because if you are pregnant, there's not one reason you can't just breastfeed your next baby with your breast.  You can do an ounce to ounce and a half per hour your new baby is away from you, and reverse cycle when you're home.  (that means they get more from  you than they get from the bottle and they nurse a lot when you are home with them, especially at night).  A low flow newborn nipple also helps. 

Anyhow, if I were you, I'd just cut pumping out and just go back to feeding him straight from the tap when you are home.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Maybe I misread your post.  Sorry if that's so.  At any rate, I don't think it would hurt to gradually quit pumping, and eventually in a few weeks, quit altogether.  Good luck!

lanie1595
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I pumped and worked with my first two, to quit pumping I backed off one pumping session a week.  I pumped three times per day, so I quite the lunch pump first, then afternoon, then morning.  After three weeks you should be done with pumping and can still nurse at home.  Just start giving whole milk in a bottle or sippy cup at daycare.  I am home now with my third (17 months), and at about 12 months he started backing off nursing a little bit at a time.  He now nurses three times a day, 1st morning, early afternoon and bedtime.  So if you want to breastfeed while preggers, you probably can, as he gets more solids he will probably have milk at lunch and nurse other times.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Gradually reduce the pumping until you are done.  You will be fine with just nursing when you are together.  Your supply will adjust perfectly.

mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:32 PM
Cut back the pumping :) I stopped around a year with my youngest and he nursed for another 18mos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:39 PM

yep

Quoting aehanrahan:

Gradually reduce the pumping until you are done.  You will be fine with just nursing when you are together.  Your supply will adjust perfectly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)