• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amber Teething Necklace?? (ot)

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:32 PM
  • 20 Replies

It was suggested this would help DS with teething. I didnt understand how or why this would work so I did some research and came across this blog post.

http://alphamom.com/parenting/baby/amber-teething-necklaces-helpful-or-hype/

Which leads me to ask you mamas, does this really work??

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I never tried it, but MANY moms swear by it.  I didn't know about them until after Johnathan was past most of the teething issues.

ItsMeJamieLee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I use a Baltic Amber teething necklace for Devi and love it. I have definitely noticed a difference between the times she is wearing it...And isn't. Some people even leave them on at night. I do not, because we don't have issues at night and also, well, that scares me. But in the event that she starts having a hard time at night I will probably wrap it around her ankle.

I am anti-pharmaceutical so this is a very helpful and practical tool for me to use. I use it in addition to a few other things...When she is teething I give her the homeopathic Hyland Chamomilla teething tabs when she needs something in addition to the necklace. If she is having a really hard time, I then give her a few drops of catnip tincture I made for her. I have never had to resort to Tylenol or anything else and don't intend to.

I was using the Chamomila and catnip before I got her necklace. I use noticeably less since putting the necklace on her.

Definitely worth my money, highly reccommend!

Jamie Lee ~ Mindful stay at home mommy of Devika Wren, AKA Devi. I'm a cloth diapering, attachment parenting, exclusively breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing, baby-led lifestyle, veggie and herb growing, animal loving, country living, internet addicted, nature loving, anti pharmaceutical natural medicine using spiritual hippie type being who is in love with life. Ask me anything, I love to share what I know and learn what I can from others as well!

CafeMom Tickers

ItsMeJamieLee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:42 PM

BTW....They say that the lighter colored (caramel) beads are most effective. I got Devi one with alternating dark and light beads because I thought it was prettier. Good luck!!  :)

buttercup627
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Quoting ItsMeJamieLee:

I use a Baltic Amber teething necklace for Devi and love it. I have definitely noticed a difference between the times she is wearing it...And isn't. Some people even leave them on at night. I do not, because we don't have issues at night and also, well, that scares me. But in the event that she starts having a hard time at night I will probably wrap it around her ankle.

I am anti-pharmaceutical so this is a very helpful and practical tool for me to use. I use it in addition to a few other things...When she is teething I give her the homeopathic Hyland Chamomilla teething tabs when she needs something in addition to the necklace. If she is having a really hard time, I then give her a few drops of catnip tincture I made for her. I have never had to resort to Tylenol or anything else and don't intend to.

I was using the Chamomila and catnip before I got her necklace. I use noticeably less since putting the necklace on her.

I'd never heard of this necklace, is it just something they wear or is it something they can chew on also? My friend had a teething necklace she would wear that her baby could chew on.

LaylasMaMa06
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Where did you purchase yours? can I ask for how much? I guess after reading the blog post my fear is purchasing the "knock off" amber beads she refers to....

Quoting ItsMeJamieLee:

ItsMeJamieLee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM

It's something they wear, it is not to chew on. I'm not familiar with a teething necklace..Although I wouldn't be surprised if there were such a thing!   :)

Quoting buttercup627:

Quoting ItsMeJamieLee:

I'd never heard of this necklace, is it just something they wear or is it something they can chew on also? My friend had a teething necklace she would wear that her baby could chew on.

Jamie Lee ~ Mindful stay at home mommy of Devika Wren, AKA Devi. I'm a cloth diapering, attachment parenting, exclusively breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing, baby-led lifestyle, veggie and herb growing, animal loving, country living, internet addicted, nature loving, anti pharmaceutical natural medicine using spiritual hippie type being who is in love with life. Ask me anything, I love to share what I know and learn what I can from others as well!

CafeMom Tickers

Char07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I sell them HERE, they are 12.00 and I do test batches of my amber to make sure it's true amber and order only from reputable companies.

I LOVE my amber, I even wear amber myself for my wisdom teeth, headaches and most recently a bracelet and anklet to help with hip pain :)

Char07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM

They are called "teething necklaces" but they aren't for chewing on :)

Quoting ItsMeJamieLee:

It's something they wear, it is not to chew on. I'm not familiar with a teething necklace..Although I wouldn't be surprised if there were such a thing!   :)

Quoting buttercup627:

Quoting ItsMeJamieLee:

ItsMeJamieLee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM

This is where I bought mine: http://www.amberartisans.com/ambefortelea.html and it was $19.95 plus shipping..Not sure of total. Ours is genuine. My close friend is a jeweler and knows about amber.  :)

Quoting LaylasMaMa06:

Where did you purchase yours? can I ask for how much? I guess after reading the blog post my fear is purchasing the "knock off" amber beads she refers to....

Quoting ItsMeJamieLee:

CafeMom Tickers

ItsMeJamieLee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM

how do you test your amber? i'm totally interested now..

Quoting Char07:

I sell them HERE, they are 12.00 and I do test batches of my amber to make sure it's true amber and order only from reputable companies.

I LOVE my amber, I even wear amber myself for my wisdom teeth, headaches and most recently a bracelet and anklet to help with hip pain :)

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)