Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to give up :( PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi, I'm new to the group and just look for some support or tips, Lately nursing has seemed like more trouble than it's worth. My DD is 3 months old and She never stays latched, she pulls on and off the whole time she's eating, so I never know when she's done. She's always gassy, and I'm not sure what I'm eating that's causing it. And she eats a little less than every two hours, which seems ok, but two hours flies by! I feel like I can't even go shopping, she always has to eat while i'm out and I hate breastfeeding in public, esp because if something is going on around her she pulls away even more. UGH, I just want to give up and give her a bottle... I only made it this far with my older DD when I started doing FF and BF but then at six months she wouldn't nurse at all anymore, and I don't want that to happen again.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Char07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM

While I love NIP and love the convenience of it, I too dreaded feeding the super distractable baby in public sometimes.  Get a sling, it really helps keep baby focused on you and not everything going on around her, even at home it was a life saver for me.  Look up OAL on kellymom.com its the most common cause of gassiness and pulling off in young babies (more common than food intolerances) and rather easy to work with once you know what's going on.  Good luck, you're doing great (even if it doesn't feel like it :)

mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM
All this! Seriously look into oal.

Quoting Char07:

While I love NIP and love the convenience of it, I too dreaded feeding the super distractable baby in public sometimes.  Get a sling, it really helps keep baby focused on you and not everything going on around her, even at home it was a life saver for me.  Look up OAL on kellymom.com its the most common cause of gassiness and pulling off in young babies (more common than food intolerances) and rather easy to work with once you know what's going on.  Good luck, you're doing great (even if it doesn't feel like it :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayDziedzic
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Stick with it! Soon you'll both be good at this and you'll be glad you waited out the hard part.

I've started using a nursing necklace (they have lots at etsy.com) to stop DD from nearly ripping off my nipple everytime someone walked by; having the necklace to 'play with' while she eats helps to keep her more comfortably preoccupied. When I get discouraged I think about how badly formula smells and that it stained all my clothes with my first 2 (FF) kids.

Good luck, you can do this!

lifetimelove
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I second the above.  When I'm out (and often when I'm home) I nurse my youngest in my Ergo carrier.  He has always been very distractable and doesn't focus to nurse unless it's nighttime or I'm wearing him.

Three months is also a big growth spurt, after it's over you'll probably find that nursing sessions will naturally space out.  I found a big difference when I could put him in the shopping cart - he was so busy flirting he had no desire to nurse.  ;)

MandiK
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Thanks :) I keep telling myself it will get easier in another month or so. I will try the necklace or wearing her to help with the distractability. And I do have OAL, it was getting better with some of those tips but now she's having a hard time again.

wenuck
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Keep up the good work Mama!! It will get easier Ive made it 5 1/2 months!!! Its all worth it!!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Trysome block feeding and upright positionfor nursing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elmo6885
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:15 PM
Try hand expressing some milk into a burpie before latching baby. That really helped with my OAL :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:31 PM
It sounds like you probably have an oversupply of milk. That would cause baby to be gassy and to nurse more frequently. Try block feeding, offering the same breast for a few feedings in a row to get your supply down. That will make the OAL much better, and also make her less gassy and she might get more fatty hindmilk and stay satisfied a little longer.

Go to http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:23 AM

And a sling will help you with the nursing in public; harder for her to look around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)