Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pump-ers

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM
  • 18 Replies

For those who exclusively pump- what made you choose to pump instead of actually putting baby to breast? Do you say you breastfeed, or is pumping not considered breastfeeding?

I have been feeling some mixed emotions about exclusively pumping instead of putting my daughter to breast. She was born 5 weeks premature and spent 15 days in the NICU, taking only my pumped milk through a NG tube and then finally a bottle. We got home, she nursed like a champ, but now we are battling a bad case of thrush. My daughter's father and I are also not together, so she cannot be with everytime she needs to eat. I feel like I have let my daughter down :(

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ritzbit
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I'm not an exclusive pumper, but the baby in my day care is fed by breastmilk in a bottle, not her mother.  The baby refuses the breast now.  But I consider her to be a breastfeeder.  She is still receiving breastmilk from her mother and that is what's best for the baby.  You haven't let your daughter down!  You're still providing her with the best nutrition possible! 

FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I don't EP, but considered it at one point because I was getting so frustated with baby. But we pulled through.  My bestfriend EPs.  I can't recall why, but latch issues come to mind.  I know it was around 1.5 - 2 months when she switched.  She has tried to put him back now (He's 6 months) but the just bites.  She's so used to pumping that it's no big deal.  But she still breastfeeds in my and her opinion.  Breastmilk is what matters.  She perfered pumping at the time as DS would take 45 minutes at the breast but a bottle in 20.  So it was faster to bottle feed and pump (especially with a great hubby who feeds while she pumps even in the middle of the night). 

You haven't let her down at all.  My daughter is in day care but still gets breastmilk.  I don't think I have let her down at all for those 3 bottles each day. 

ardiaxe
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM
Pumping is not letting your daughter down! It is the most loving and dedicated thing you can ever do for your daughter.
I chose to EP because my daughter would only breastfeed in her sleep, she has reflux and associated me with pain. After struggling to nurse her for 7 months, we went to bottles of pumped milk. She refuses formula, so here we are, she is 9 months and doing great. To be honest, I wanted to EP from the very beginning, but guilt got to me. I should have started with what worked for me from the very beginning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ardiaxe
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM
Oh and the millk my baby gets are from my breasts, so she "breastfeeds"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I pumped when my son was born and in the NICU, and when he was six months old to 11 almost 12 months, I pumped for him.  He was on a feeding tube the second time, and the first time, it was a bottle he refused to take. 

It takes a LOT of dedication to pump for your baby, and of course your baby is bf if he or she gets your milk in a bottle!  Why would it be otherwise?

aheffernan1991
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM

My Rhyan has reflux too. In the NICU they were adding rice cereal to my milk (which I despised but it seemed to work). I would do whatever it took to get her home faster! After we got home, I decided I didn't like the idea, and started cutting out the cereal- she does better without the cereal in her milk! So now its just my pumped milk- and she has never had a drop of formula :) I will be going back to school, and working full time so I would have had to pump eventually for her. Some days I feel like I have let her down for some reason, just because she did so well taking to the breast several times. Thank you for the encouragement! It helps a lot.

Quoting ardiaxe:

Pumping is not letting your daughter down! It is the most loving and dedicated thing you can ever do for your daughter.
I chose to EP because my daughter would only breastfeed in her sleep, she has reflux and associated me with pain. After struggling to nurse her for 7 months, we went to bottles of pumped milk. She refuses formula, so here we are, she is 9 months and doing great. To be honest, I wanted to EP from the very beginning, but guilt got to me. I should have started with what worked for me from the very beginning.

mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:47 PM
You have not let your daughter down! I would encourage you to nurse her when you can and pump for her when you can't. I worked full time with all of my kids, so approx half the time they weren't at breast at all. As far as visitation with her father, if there isn't a court order, see if there is a way to figure it so she's not away from you for too long until she's older. Some judges see it as 6mo, others a year. You can do it however works best for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jrp0606
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I pump because my son can not nurse - believe me I would do ANYTHING to nurse him. 

You stand a much better chance of having a successful long term breastfeeding relationship if you can get the baby nursing on a regular basis.  thats not to say you can't give the occassional bottle but baby will build and keep your supply much better then any pump can - and pumping for 8 months gets exhausting. 

I nursed my first for 18months I went back to work full time when he was 4 month old so I pumped during the day -  I wish now I had gone longer - and this baby has never nursed and I work full time -  having done both let me tell you nursing is def easier.  

Just logistically being able to put the baby on the boob is easier - not having to carry a pump with you EVERYWHERE or if you forget a part - no problem just attach the baby. 

and trust me if you EP at some point you will forget a part and babies r us won't have any is stock and you will on the phone in tears trying to find somewhere in Dallas that has tubing and end up buying a whole new pump because no one has it... oh wait that was me sorry.

3am feedings are a whole lot easier when you can just put baby to boob and not have to worry about bottles - the summer is easier you know your milk from boob is fresh and safe - that bottle that been in the diaper bag for two hours is either too cold cause you have it packed in ice or too warm cause it to damn hot outside...

my list is endless

my advice is work with a lactation consultant while you are home nurse nurse nurse.... as long as there is no physical reason not to nurse... nurse.........

once you go back to school reintroduce the bottle.

since you know you are going back to school - keep pumping a couple times a day that way you create a nice over supply and freezer stash.  you might be pumping a good amount now but pumping output drops over time so its a good idea to build a stash and have a pumping over supply if you know you will be pumping long term.

boom_maker
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM

i only pump because i work full time. i just wanted to say if you want to nurse it still is possible. have you tried to put baby to the breast? if you don't, that's fine. pumping is hard work and takes dedication, good for you for giving your baby the best =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)