Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Milk

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was just curious what breast milk should look like. My daughter is 9 days old and I am breastfeeding. My one breast is producing a thicker milk than the other. The breast with the thinner milk seems to flow out too fast and she has trouble nursing from that one. But its starting to hurt as if it is too full. Im not sure which texture (thick or thin) the milk should be. Can anyone help me with this?

-Tina

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graciemae3215
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM

bump :)

Char07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM

The "thinner" side is likely your overproducer and what you are seeing is the foremilk (more watery) and the thicker is (hindmilk- higher in fat).  Often babies have trouble with too fast of a flow (look up overactive letdown and oversupply on kellymom.com) but you can find ways to manage it to make it easier on baby :)

FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM

With my milk (I pump at work), when I am full I get thinner milk.  I can see the difference between the foremilk which is thinner and less fatty and the hindmilk which is the fattier, "fresh" milk.  If you have too much milk, the flow can bother baby.  It's called Overactive or Forceful let down (OAL).  At 9 days though, your body is probably just producing and will regulate on its own over the next few weeks to meet baby's deman.  So all the milk you have is good!!  If you need to, express some by hand on the side that full so baby can get a good latch.  I hesitiate to say to pump it as that can lead to oversupply and OAL problems later on (though you could have no effects from it at all). 

teeteelouise
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM

How can I express the milk by hand? Im really new to all of this so I feel a little helpless.

Quoting FLmommy0204:

With my milk (I pump at work), when I am full I get thinner milk.  I can see the difference between the foremilk which is thinner and less fatty and the hindmilk which is the fattier, "fresh" milk.  If you have too much milk, the flow can bother baby.  It's called Overactive or Forceful let down (OAL).  At 9 days though, your body is probably just producing and will regulate on its own over the next few weeks to meet baby's deman.  So all the milk you have is good!!  If you need to, express some by hand on the side that full so baby can get a good latch.  I hesitiate to say to pump it as that can lead to oversupply and OAL problems later on (though you could have no effects from it at all). 

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Breast milk can look so many different ways! It can look completely different on different days or on different hours.

The milk that looks thinner us most likely coming from your breast that produces more milk (everyone has one side that makes more). The longer milk is stored in the breast, and the more milk there is, the more it separates into thinner watery foremilk and thicker richer fatty hindmilk. Because there is more milk on that side it comes out faster.

If this is causing problems you can nurse more frequently on the less productive side to even things out a bit.
08JLS11
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Gently massage your breast / nipples with your hands so that the milk flows. You can express enough to relieve the pressure so that your baby can latch on easier :)

FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I can't explain it very well.  I just kinda squeezed, massaged towards the nipple.  It took trial an error. 

Quoting teeteelouise:

How can I express the milk by hand? Im really new to all of this so I feel a little helpless.

Quoting FLmommy0204:

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I agree with this.  Here is an article that might help.  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Breast milk can look so many different ways! It can look completely different on different days or on different hours.

The milk that looks thinner us most likely coming from your breast that produces more milk (everyone has one side that makes more). The longer milk is stored in the breast, and the more milk there is, the more it separates into thinner watery foremilk and thicker richer fatty hindmilk. Because there is more milk on that side it comes out faster.

If this is causing problems you can nurse more frequently on the less productive side to even things out a bit.

meme421
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM

This may help with the hand expression

http://www.ivillage.com/breastfeeding-learn-how-hand-express-breastmilk/6-a-127442

teeteelouise
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Thanks ladies I really appreciate all the advice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)