• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bfing moms, what do you think about vaccinations? *edit*

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM
  • 166 Replies

i know this a tough subject because there are so many different opinions on it but i have to say...i'm a little iffy on sending my dd to get her 4 month shots (she just got her 2 month shots last week). i just read this http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/Whooping-Cough.aspx and it has completely scared me from wanting to get her next pertussis vaccine! and i haven't read up on the other ones!

do you vax? why or why not?

any extra information would be wonderful. this is a very hard decision for me to make and i'd like all the opinions and advice and help i can get. if anything i'd at least like to delay vaccinations or split them up.

edit:

so what is the deal with waiting until age 2? that seems to be a popular age for delays. 
i mentioned my concerns with vaxing to my husband last night but he was very stubborn and unsupportive of the research i found. he heard everything i said, but he did not listen to me. he told me to do what i want and that's certainly how it will go because i'm the one taking her to the appointments and i'm the one who held her when she screamed in pain 4 hours later after her 8 week shots :( i think delaying will be what i do but i will definitely do more research. i really appreciate everyone's response. thank you! 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starreyedcutie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM
Yes I vax me and my husband were vaxed and are fine and I have personally seen what can happen to kids that don't get vaxed. To each their own I feel I am protecting my kids...and I don't care what anyone's opinions are about my decision as a parent
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM
I have three kids and they are all vaxed and fine...they are 4,3 and almost 1
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ruthie11617
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:27 PM

With DS, I followed the schedul until his second DTaP shot caused a bad reaction. After that, we delayed the rest. With the next one (due 1/9/12), we'll be doing an even more delayed schedule and I want as many single vaccines (no combos likt DTaP) as possible so that if something causes a reaction, I will know exactly which vaccination it was. When DS had his reaction, along with the combo, he had three other vaccines that day; to this day, we can only guess what caused it.

Personally, I'm torn on vaccines. I have no religious reasons for not getting them, but I feel like what we do is overkill. Many of the vaccines we give kids today are for serious, yes, but not necessarily deadly (especially given our medical advances) diseases. I can understand vaccinating against deadly diseases, but the body will build up a better immunity if exposed to the actual disease, not a weakened form that is injected. For example, look at the chicken pox vaccine. Kids will still get chicken pox, just not as severe. Which means, they won't have a good natural immunity and risk getting it again down the road. Which means having to get more boosters. And no one knows what that means for them as adults, in regards to shingles. Oh wait, we now have a shingles vaccine, too. I also don't like a lot of the ingredients used in the vaccines. For us, for now, we consider them a somewhat necessary evil, but we do them on our schedule, not what some goverment organization says we have to do.

Char07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I don't my oldest had small seizures after her 2 mo shots that her pedi assured me over and over again on the phone that they could not be seizures and to just put some saline in her nose for congestion.  Stupid me for listening... and my dd #2 had horrible crying fits for days after each round of shots, ear piercing screaming, developed reflux, now has sensory processing problems, a provisional diagnosis of autism and lots of GI problems that all started the day she got her 2 mo shots.

I definitely recommend delaying until you are comfortable with your decision.  I was really unneasy the entire time getting my dd#2's shots and now really wish I hadn't.  I have come to the conclusion that the risk of further reactions in any of my kids is worse than the risks of the diseases themselves and am very comfortable with my decision.  Good luck, I know it's a hard decision to make :)

chotovec82
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I do vax but selectively and delayed. I vaccinated on schedule my oldest and well... we had a bad reaction and drs ignored us and he still is effected by that. Personally, I am on the fence. It's a hard choice to make and I respect everyones decision when it comes to vaccines.

The vaccines that I absolutely refuse to get my children are:

Hepititis

Chicken Pox

and the flus.

There are others that I am still debating on.

deccaf
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM

First, I have a family history of reaction to vaccinations.  Even with that, I did my research and decided to vax.  I spoke with my pedi about my concerns and we watch DD very closely with every shot.  If you are in the L.A., San Diego area, Whooping Cough has become a pretty bad epidemic.  Schools are now requiring ALL children to be vaccinated against it. 

For me, the risk of the diseases she is being vaxed against outweighed the small risk of a reaction.  Herd immunity only works when most of the "herd" is immunized.

ZazaGoszzy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Ditto!!!

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Yes I vax me and my husband were vaxed and are fine and I have personally seen what can happen to kids that don't get vaxed. To each their own I feel I am protecting my kids...and I don't care what anyone's opinions are about my decision as a parent

Elliot Raymon Goslin was born three weeks early on June 4th, 2011 @ 10:57 am weighing in at 9lbs. 1.6oz and 20in.

this siggy was made by: http://members.baby-gaga.com/member458935

personal.legend
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:35 PM

it's a very hard decision to make, which is why i want all the information i can get before her next appointment in october. if you don't mind and when you have time can you message me and let me know how you do the selective/delayed vaxes?

Quoting chotovec82:

I do vax but selectively and delayed. I vaccined on schedule my oldest and well... we had a bad reaction and drs ignored us and he still is effected by that. Personally, I am on the fence. It's a hard choice to make and I respect everyones decision when it comes to vaccines.

personal.legend
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM

how long can you delay for? 

i'm so sorry about your daugther :( i couldn't imagine and this is one of the reasons i don't want to risk it. i plan on talking to the pedi more about it but i just don't know what to say. right now my heart is telling me no.

Quoting Char07:

I don't my oldest had small seizures after her 2 mo shots that her pedi assured me over and over again on the phone that they could not be seizures and to just put some saline in her nose for congestion.  Stupid me for listening... and my dd #2 had horrible crying fits for days after each round of shots, ear piercing screaming, developed reflux, now has sensory processing problems, a provisional diagnosis of autism and lots of GI problems that all started the day she got her 2 mo shots.

I definitely recommend delaying until you are comfortable with your decision.  I was really unneasy the entire time getting my dd#2's shots and now really wish I hadn't.  I have come to the conclusion that the risk of further reactions in any of my kids is worse than the risks of the diseases themselves and am very comfortable with my decision.  Good luck, I know it's a hard decision to make :)

personal.legend
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM

i'm all the way over in south carolina. i heard about the measles i think making a comeback but not the whooping cough getting worse :( 

Quoting deccaf:

First, I have a family history of reaction to vaccinations.  Even with that, I did my research and decided to vax.  I spoke with my pedi about my concerns and we watch DD very closely with every shot.  If you are in the L.A., San Diego area, Whooping Cough has become a pretty bad epidemic.  Schools are now requiring ALL children to be vaccinated against it. 

For me, the risk of the diseases she is being vaxed against outweighed the small risk of a reaction.  Herd immunity only works when most of the "herd" is immunized.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)