Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really need advise....

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have a question....my six month old is not wanting to nurse for very long anymore.  She is starting to not want to nap either.  I have been giving her solid food for about a month in limited quantity.  She just doesn't seem interested in nursing.  She basically will cry and pull away from me when I try to feed her or she will attack it like she hasn't ate all day and only nurse for a min or two and then she will pull away.  I have pumped before and she will only take a bottle if I am 100% out of the house.  Today I pumped 4oz and tried to give her a bottle and she ate an ounce.  Should I keep trying or just pump and try and give her a bottle?  Could this be her way of weaning herself?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
boom_maker
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM

stop the bottles, there's no need for them. she's acting like a normal 6mo old. her world is changing. my son started that at 6mo old, he had just started crawling so he was "too busy" to nurse. he had places to go and people to see, haha. what she's doing has nothing to do with weaning.

does she nurse better for bedtime and naps? she could also be teething. my son is 8mo now and getting better about it but for a while he'd nurse for like 1min, unlatch, crawl around then come back and do it all over again.

Teresand3
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I'm sure the ladies who know more about nursing strikes will respond to this. I don't know a lot about it because my kids didn't go through this. I remember my youngest, around 8 months, being too occupied with other things to really nurse until he was tired....

Anyways, nursing strike....they'll tell you all about it:o)

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:59 PM
This is normal for a six mo th old. Your baby is NOT weaning! However, continuing to pump and offer her bottles will very likely lead to premature weaning.

Only give solids after nursing.
No bottles (unless you are away from baby)
Keep offering to nurse
Find a quiet, maybe even dark, distraction free place a couple of times a day to try and help her settle down to nurse, and maybe even nap.

Your baby is so excited about the new world around her. She's afraid she will miss something if she stops to nurse! Hang in there, this a a very common phase that most babies go through, it is temporary!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:01 PM

THIS THIS THIS

Quoting maggiemom2000:

This is normal for a six mo th old. Your baby is NOT weaning! However, continuing to pump and offer her bottles will very likely lead to premature weaning.

Keep offering to nurse
Find a quiet, maybe even dark, distraction free place a couple of times a day to try and help her settle down to nurse, and maybe even nap.

Your baby is so excited about the new world around her. She's afraid she will miss something if she stops to nurse! Hang in there, this a a very common phase that most babies go through, it is temporary!

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM

YEP, YEP, THIS! 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

THIS THIS THIS

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Keep offering to nurse

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Maggiemom nailed it. Follow her advice to the letter.

blg5484
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:42 AM

They are all correct DD didthis at 6 months and again at 9 months and she doest it some now at 13 months it just depends what she has going on. Also she may be teething and thats why she is pulling off like that try do help her gums feel better before you nurse ( let her chew ice, put on teeth meds we use hylands it doesnt numb)

AMMOWIFE
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Thank you so much.  I will keep at it.  I had a friend tell me that she thought my dd was trying to start weaning.  I was so scared that was true.  I love being the only one to be able to feed her and make her comfortable I wasn't ready to give that up yet.  She does ok at night to fall asleep but during the day she is more into solid food.  I guess she is getting what she needs because she is still having wet diapers.  She is also teething so that could be it too.  I will just keep going and let her figure out how long and how much she needs....

mama02040608
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Teething can also cause problems with nursing.  Keep at it! 

Quoting AMMOWIFE:

Thank you so much.  I will keep at it.  I had a friend tell me that she thought my dd was trying to start weaning.  I was so scared that was true.  I love being the only one to be able to feed her and make her comfortable I wasn't ready to give that up yet.  She does ok at night to fall asleep but during the day she is more into solid food.  I guess she is getting what she needs because she is still having wet diapers.  She is also teething so that could be it too.  I will just keep going and let her figure out how long and how much she needs....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)