• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pacifiers. . .

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM
  • 8 Replies

I read on a post in a different group that you aren't supposed to give pacifiers to breastfed babies. Is this true/false? Why or why not would using a paci for my baby be a problem? (I'm due in Oct.)

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momof2Iliyjosh
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:42 PM

i think the recomendation is that you wait a couple of months when you are breastfeeding successfully not sure though so here is a bump for you.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:42 PM

It CAN cause problems for some and none for others.  It is recommended to wait at least 4-6 weeks before introducing any artificial nipples because they can change the baby's latch.  

My oldest used one because I was uneducated.  He did not comfort nurse and I believe that it led to him weaning earlier than he was really ready.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM
Not until 6 weeks. It can cause nipple confusion and when it does mess up the latch, you end up in pain (because baby will use the same mouth shape as the pacifier, causing cracks, blisters, etc)

I don't use a pacifier with DS unless he is in his car seat or I have put him down in his crib to sleep. Around 3 months they learn that you are better than a pacifier & so they don't want the pacifier anymore!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shani527
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM
Its recommended not to use one until nursing and supply are established. However I used one while still at the hospital and I do not think the problem I had was a result. In fact I think it saved me so to say. I take pacifiers away at 6 m and now at almost 7 m its gone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_to_Skyler
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:26 PM
Is there a reason you are set on using a paci?

Neither of my kids ever had one. I didn't offer...
evilbutterfly
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies. I'm not for or against using them either way, but I did end up using one with my daughter because it seemed to help sooth her better. Idk why I wasn't thinking about the nipple attachment and having a harder time latching if I used a paci, but it deffinitely makes sense. I wasn't as successful with breastfeeding the first time around with my daughter, so I really want to make sure I'm as informed about anything as can be. Thanks so much!!

Christina807
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM
I started using one when my daughter was 2.5 weeks old. She turned two years old yesterday and she still nurses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nancyn89
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I started using the paci with my newborn son when he was about 1 1/2-2 weeks old. I am also still nursing him and pumping and having him use the bottle at the same time. The only reason why I decided to cave in and use one was because after a feeding, he would fuss and when I go to put him back on the breast, he wouldn't really drink, he'd just want something to suck on. It became exhausting for me because he just always wanted to be attached to me. I haven't had any trouble nursing and he hasn't had any nipple confusion so I think it just depends on the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)