• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tylenol 3

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM
  • 6 Replies

I got my tubes done today and they prescribed me Tylenol 3s. They said it's safe to take while breastfeeding but it would make the baby sleepy. That doesn't seem that safe to me.. But I guess some air got trapped in my shoulder while they were gassing me and it hurts like a bitch still.

Has anyone taken tylenol 3s while breastfeeding and did it affect your baby?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I took it after my C-section.  It is not as much about the safety as it is about the risks of nursing with it vs the risks of feeding formula.  It is still safer to nurse and take the medication than feed formula.

Blaiden
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Well there's no way I'm giving her formula.. I just wanted to know if it really does do anything to the baby, because if it does, I just wont take it. I'm not huge on pain medicine anyway.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM

It CAN make the baby sleepy but it might not.  It is just something to watch for.

mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM
They are given to post csection moms as well as to pregnant women in some circumstances. The risk lies in how much and how often the med is taken. Taking it on occasion should be just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Misteh
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM
I took 800mg ibuprofen after my csection. It did make her sleepy but it's a lot safer than narcotics and none addictive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheram
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:37 PM
My oldest had surgery at 10 weeks of age. He was prescribed Tylenol 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)