Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning question, what do you switch to and when?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM
  • 14 Replies
This may be stupid, but you ladies are always so helpful. This is my first time breastfeeding and I was just wondering, what have you ladies been told about weaning at different ages, leading up to one year. If you wean anytime after 3 months to 1year, do you have to switch to formula, or can you switch to milk? And if it is milk, is it skim, 2% or whole?
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleybgarcia
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM

You would need to switch to formula before a year. But, why would you want to? :)

mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM
Before a year, formula for sure. Milk doesn't have the proper nutrients for human babies :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:51 PM
And when you do introduce cows milk, usually it should be no less than 2%.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Quoting mama02040608:

Before a year, formula for sure. Milk doesn't have the proper nutrients for human babies :)

Lilypie - (wn9y)

larissalarie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM
No regular milk before 1. Protein is too hard to digest (they process the shit outta formula to make it digestible) and it lacks most of the nutrients a baby needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:25 PM
So if you decide to wean prematurely, yes you should give formula. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tangie1118
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:52 PM
I don't plan on weaning prematurely, I was just looking over when to introduce certain foods from this info sheet my docs office gave me and it only talked about BF or formula up to one year, so it just got me thinking about all the details of weaning and sun and to what. So, thank you ladies for clarifying :-)
ApachePunk
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:37 PM

for info only, the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years

Here are some nutrition facts about bf past 1 yr: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/index.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Quoting mama02040608:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM

If you wean before a year you must use formula between 11-12 months if you gradually cut back and keep atleast 3-4 nursings a day then nothing else is needed, when baby is over 12 months and you drop under 3 nursings you can give milk of whatever kind you want but baby must be over a year to do that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)