Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Started pumping and ?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

IMy dd is 3 weeks old and I have a few questions...

Yesterday was my first morning pumping an hour after I fed dd and I got 2 oz then and today.  How long till I see this increase? or do I have to only pump and not feed before to see an increase?  I want to start building my freezer stash.  Also before I go back to work should I practice pumping at the times I plan on pumping at work and give her BM from the bottle at those times?  and how far in advance should we do this?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM

First of all, 2 oz is great output for pumping.  Normal output is .5 oz to about 2 ounces TOTAL.  Anything more means you have an over supply.  I considered doing the practice run a few days before going back to work but it really didn't help any.  All it did was frustrate me so I didn't continue.  I had no issues when I went back to work.  Just keep pumping after the morning feed (you get the most output in the mornings) to build the freezer stash.  In theory, you only need enough for the first day, then you will feed what you pump that day the next day.  How often will you be pumping?  How long did you pump to get the 2 oz?  Also, baby only needs between 1 and 1.25 ounces for each hour she is away from you.  It's generally recommended to do 3 ounce bottles every 3 hours.  So you if you are pumping 2 oz after feeding, you probably will not have any problems getting 3 oz at a pump.  

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM
2 oz is great! Normal pump output is .5-2 oz total.

I pumped once a day, every day, since DS was about 3 weeks old. You just freeze it - don't put it in a bottle & feed it - that's for day care to do, not you!

Once you go back to work you can't really use it.....if you pump out less, your body makes less. You will have to rotate it out. It will expire in 3-6 months (Separate freezer compartment in a fridge) or up to 12 months (deep freezer)

I ended up with 130 oz. I donated 50 oz, then realized that I still have too much to rotate out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Misteh
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM
Really?! I get 4ozs each boob everytime I pump. DD is a month old. I had no idea that wasn't normal!

Quoting FLmommy0204:

First of all, 2 oz is great output for pumping.  Normal output is .5 oz to about 2 ounces TOTAL.  Anything more means you have an over supply.  I considered doing the practice run a few days before going back to work but it really didn't help any.  All it did was frustrate me so I didn't continue.  I had no issues when I went back to work.  Just keep pumping after the morning feed (you get the most output in the mornings) to build the freezer stash.  In theory, you only need enough for the first day, then you will feed what you pump that day the next day.  How often will you be pumping?  How long did you pump to get the 2 oz?  Also, baby only needs between 1 and 1.25 ounces for each hour she is away from you.  It's generally recommended to do 3 ounce bottles every 3 hours.  So you if you are pumping 2 oz after feeding, you probably will not have any problems getting 3 oz at a pump.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM
2 ounces is actually really great for your 1st time! Yes, you get more the more you do it. I find pumping before baby eats when I'm really full gets the best results. Or if you can pull it off nurse baby one one side while pumping the other. My 1st & 2nd got bm bottles starting at 2 weeks when I returned to work and did fine switching back & forth. My 3rd I get to stay home with and didn't ever ned to even try a bottle til 8 weeks and he would have nothing to do with it by then. So I would introduce out for sure by 4 weeks unless she's having some sort of trouble with breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:47 PM

2 oz is AWESOME!! Thats a full bottle!! My son never took over 3 oz bottles and I umped for work til he was 14 months

Pump once a day everyday, store this milk for yor stash, the purpose of this is to train your body to respond to the pump so once you go back that stash is only needed for the first day.

NO bottles when you can nurse, NO bottles given by you ever, baby will take bottle when you are away when there is no option, YOU are not to practice, yu an leave her with someone else to practice the day before or something but no bottles from you and when you are arround.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM

btw my guy had no bottle til the night before I went back..he was 4 months old

mama02040608
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:55 PM
Your output is normal, but you may see more if you pump without a feed (like if you're at work). Pump regularly so your body knows the pump. And don't stress over how much you get, you only need a couple of days worth of milk for backup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Listen to Tabi!  She went from not being able to pump much with one baby and reverse cycling to pumping enough to donate to other babies.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

2 oz is AWESOME!! Thats a full bottle!! My son never took over 3 oz bottles and I umped for work til he was 14 months

Pump once a day everyday, store this milk for yor stash, the purpose of this is to train your body to respond to the pump so once you go back that stash is only needed for the first day.

NO bottles when you can nurse, NO bottles given by you ever, baby will take bottle when you are away when there is no option, YOU are not to practice, yu an leave her with someone else to practice the day before or something but no bottles from you and when you are arround.

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM
Just keep pumping once a day like this until you go back to work. On your first day back at work you will pump for those missed feedings, or every 2-3 hrs, depending on your situation. You will be used to pumping and may or may not get more milk in those sessions. No need to practice pumping and bottle feeding on your work schedule.

Keep your freezer stash for emergencies, or take the oldest and freeze some new every once in awhile. You want baby to get the freshest milk possible so what you pump on Monday will go to daycare with him on Tues .
amy6162007
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Thanks ladies!  I was worried b/c I hear so many other women getting so much more when they pump. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)