Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Binding

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM
  • 15 Replies
What are the "best" way to wean cold turkey, other than binding?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rayawni
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM

uhh, most moms here will tell you not to wean cold turkey. You can get plugged ducts and mastitis. I would work gradually at it.. are you wanting to stop cold turkey??

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM
I would never quit cold turkey. Too worried about the pain and mastitis. If I suddenly needed to stop nursing the baby, I guess I would pump less and less each day until I was done. Other than birth control pills like Yaz, I'd never quit cold turkey. I've had painful blocked ducts from weaning and I spend months cutting down and it still happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:16 PM
I didn't elaborate on my thought of the birth control pills: the estrogen in the pills will dry you up.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I would never quit cold turkey. Too worried about the pain and mastitis. If I suddenly needed to stop nursing the baby, I guess I would pump less and less each day until I was done. Other than birth control pills like Yaz, I'd never quit cold turkey. I've had painful blocked ducts from weaning and I spend months cutting down and it still happens.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Binding is a big no no, even if mom wean cold turkey! Binding (wrapping) the breasts has not been proven effective in research; it may intensify a mother's discomfort. Any consistent pressure on the breasts can cause plugged ducts or breast infections.

There are medications and/or herbs mom can take to help "dry up" her supply, but, in most cases, there is an alternative to weaning cold turkey, which is usually not good for everyone involved.

sunnyflower417
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Sorry! Should have mentioned it wasn't me! My friend is weaning her 4 wk old son, her mom binder her at around 3pm. I told her it's a big no
no. Ugh, she is SO exhausting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boom_maker
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM
Omg! My first thought was "nooooooo" haha.
I have no suggestions for weaning cold turkey but it sure does sound painful, especially binding.

Quoting sunnyflower417:

Sorry! Should have mentioned it wasn't me! My friend is weaning her 4 wk old son, her mom binder her at around 3pm. I told her it's a big no

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunnyflower417
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM
MY baby will only get what I've got to offer! I don't believe she'd drink that stuff any way! Are you baby weaning or do you have an age in mind?

Quoting boom_maker:

I have no suggestions for weaning cold turkey but it sure does sound painful, especially binding.

Quoting sunnyflower417:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM

No idea, bump.

Mommavieve
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:19 PM
I think there's a tea called "no more milk", but IDK how effective it is. Why is she weaning at only 4 weeks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boom_maker
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:25 PM
James self weaned at 29 mo and I really enjoyed it. Dexter will be allowed to self wean too =) They're little for such a short time, why not give him the best while we can? I hope he will go at least as long as his big bro.

Quoting sunnyflower417:

MY baby will only get what I've got to offer! I don't believe she'd drink that stuff any way! Are you baby weaning or do you have an age in mind?

Quoting boom_maker:

Quoting sunnyflower417:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)