Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self weaning...what does it look like???

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

Okay, so Danica is now 27 months and we are using the self-weaning method, question is WHAT happens? I was honestly kind of hoping she'd have stopped by now, but then the other half doesn't want it, yes, I am conflicted. She currently nurses anywhere between 3-5 times a day, depending upon how often she wakes at night.  She nurses first thing in the morning, nurses SOMETIMES in the afternoon for a nap and then again at night to go to sleep. I am pretty damned tired. I am a light sleeper and although she shares our bed if she wakes up at night, I cannot sleep while she is eating. I don't want to force the weaning so, if it takes a  while, so be it, just curious what happens at this point...my other 2 nurslings were weaned at 13 months and 15 months. Thanks, I feel kinda dopey asking this but I really just wonder how much longer it will be...

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:37 PM

It could be 2 weeks from now or it could be 2 year LMAO..kids are odd about weaning, my son weaned gradually on his own even nursing through a pregnancy.  He gradually cut back from 5-7 nursings a day at 27 months(when I got preggers) to once a day by age 3 then dropped to every other day then maybe every 3 days or so....then once a week...

maggiemom2000
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:12 PM
It looks different for everyone! In general, over the time they are nursing they gradually nurse less and lees until it is only once a day, then maybe once every few days, etc. Until they no longer nurse at all. It is rarely in a straight line, meaning they will go through periods of nursing more and less along the way.

Keep in mind that at 27 months your DD is at the beginning age of natural, self weaning. Most research suggests there is no true child led weaning before the age of 2.5, that around that age is the minimum for full term nursing. The average age if weaning is 4 years old.

Keep in mind that you need to balance the needs of your child with your own. If you decide that nursing during the night at this stage is driving you crazy, then you can eliminate night nursing. You can tell DD that nursings went night night and she can nurse again when the sun comes up. Allowing a child to self wean does not mean you can never set limits.

How much longer? Only time will tell!
PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Sorry, no idea. Bump

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:18 AM

It looks precisely the way you describe. And as tabi said, it can happen at ANY time. Keep in mind that weaning doesn't mean sleep for you... it's forever something for us parents!

ncbirdie
by Robyn on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:44 AM

It varies for each child.  With DS he suddenly stopped night nursing.  I was still getting up with him 1-2 times a night to nurse and then he just started STTN out of the blue.  His daytime nurses were extremely brief hit and runs.  Literally, suck-suck-suck done.  They were like this for months and then one day he fell and hurt himself.  I offered him boobie and he covered it back up and said "No, Mommie.  I done."  He hasn't nursed since.

However, I've heard women say that their little ones said they were done and then they started right back up like they were newborns again.  Tyipcally, it's such a gradual process that you simply realize one day that it has been quite some time since your LO nursed at all.

Necie72
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:13 AM

did i read somewhere once that most kids self-wean around the age of 3?  i'm hoping that's the case for me...  LOL  DD is 2.5 and was BEGGING me this morning for "just a little bit more"...  LOL  it was time to get ready to leave, and she just wanted to drink her "mootie"...  and i just wanted to roll over and lay on my tummy for 5 minutes!  LOL

whimsyjuggalett
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:14 AM

BUMP!

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:19 AM
Mine just turned two and I haven't noticed a slow down at all. Other then he rarely asks in public.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elmo6885
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:21 AM
Both of my boys weaned differently. My first started dropping his night feedings and 2 months later his fully weaned himself. My second dropped some of his day feedings first and dropped the night feedings last. He weaned himself in about 4 months.

It's different for everyone and every baby. When she's ready to wean she'll just lose interest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaof4babes
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:23 AM

My daughter just started nursing less and less.  Then one day she started nursing then looked up at me kinda quizically and said " No more milk mommy."  and never nursed again.  I offered once or twice after that and she would suck and be done so I never offered again.  She was 28 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)