Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

extended bf-ers and non cow milk drinkers

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:11 PM
  • 11 Replies

DD is 2, breastfeeding but doesn't drink cows milk since we drink rice milk. The only form of dairy she eats is cheese which we can't give her too much of or she gets constipated. So my question was for those of you that don't do cow milk what are things you give to make sure they are getting that same nutrition in their diet?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaSiete
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I don't worry about it too much. DS eats what he eats, still nursing and does not drink milk, maybe once in a great while and I started him on it late. We were coconut milk drinkers =) he had his first cows milk around 15-16 months. But he's been fine without me monitering the calcium and dairy intake.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM
I think the general rule is that 3 nursing sessions per day provides all of the nutrients (plus more) that you are expected to get from cows milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughterHugs
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:07 AM

we EBF my 3 and 1 y r old

we dont drink cows b/c both are allergic

lots of other foods have calcium :)

spi nach is a fave of my babies :P

lovellskt
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Leafy greens for calcium; beans and whole grain breads, rice and pasta, nuts for protein.  That is what we do.  I use Red Star nutritional yeast for b12 and extra protein.  Basically, just make sure they are eating plenty of veggies, fruits, whole grains and beans and they will be fine.  The only other thing we do is take Juice Plus+, but we try to get our nutrition from our diet.

mommy31210
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:15 AM

the other moms have given some great ideas my dd loves yogert. i freeze it for her to snack on when its hot out to :)

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:22 AM

I'm not even BFing anymore but I honestly don't even worry about it. Both my kids are allergic to cow's milk (plus other foods) so they get a good vitamin and I let them eat what they want, that they are allowed to have anyway. DS drinks almond milk by choice now but it's not something I insist on. I don't find cow's milk to be all that nutritious anyway, so it's not a concern for me. They eat a varied diet and the vitamin gives them whatever their diets may lack.

PEEK05
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Vitamin D3 on a daily basis

gracielynn87
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 5:12 AM

mine will be 2 soon and nurse about 4-6 times a day. He likes string cheese. I do give him cow milk greek yogurt in his daily smoothie. He also loves coconut milk too. But other than that he likes broccoli, and other vegs so I don't really worry too much about his calcium intake.

hempmommy87
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:26 AM

We aren't at that point yet but since I am lactose intolerant and have cut out all dairy recently, I have been using all kinds of alternatives like flaxmilk, coconut milk, almond milk and rice milk. I have yet to try hemp milk but will at some point lol. So, DS may never get cows milk. I'm not sure yet but I'm glad there are so many alternatives out there :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Cows milk has protein, fats, calcium and Vit D....you can give mushrooms(Vit D even when cooked), leafy greens(calcium), avacado(fats), and meat or eggs or beans(protein)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)