Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this the end??

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:36 PM
  • 8 Replies
I'm currently bfing (9 months PP) and have been supplementing lightly once in a while (date nights, sometimes for the middle of the night feeding etc) so he is also used to the taste of formula. I nurse about 6x daily and he has about 2-3 solid feedings per day. My husband and I won a weekend getaway randomly to an amazing spa resort and we decided to take it. We had 3 days to prepare...my mom is going to watch the kids for us, and I've been pumping like crazy so he can have half and half bottles for 2 days. I will continue to pump over the weekend to keep my supply up. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this before and how the baby reacted (did he reject you etc..) and am worrisome that this might be the end. Tips, advice? Anyone? Please help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MommaSiete
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I wouldn't worry mama :)
It's only a couple days!
He will be more than joyful to have you and your breasts back lol.
And he's already used to bottles so there shouldn't be a problem with that either. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

You should be fine, just make sure that the bottles stay small and slow flow and baby should be ok. 

I know gdiamante used to go on business trips for days at a time and return and everything was ok..she even supplimented some I think.

jya1124
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM
So don't use fast flow because he won't want to nurse after that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:29 AM
End? Hell no. Been there done that, for much longer stretches! Eight months postpartum: Ten day business trip. Nine months pp: Seven day European vacation. 13 months pp: Six day business trip. 20 months pp: Ten day business trip. 26 months pp: Weaned. He didn't even NOTICE I was gone, not one of those times. Infants have no time sense.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:40 AM
Three oz bottles every three hours or so..24-30oz a day slow flow nipples

Quoting jya1124:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jya1124
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:44 AM
Yea for some reason I've been only able to pump about 20 Ozs. There's no way he won't be on formula on day 2. Kind of sad. I just hope he wants to latch on when we get back..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Just make sure you pump a MINIMUM of every 4 hours arund the clock,  More would be great, but I'm being realistic.  Make sure whoever is watching him uses slowflow nipples and feeds him in small amounts so that when you get back, if your supply is a little low, he doesn't freak out and refuse the breast.  I don't have any experience leaving a nursling for more than overnight, but as long as you can keep up your supply, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

mama02040608
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM

The slow flow mimics the work it takes to get milk from the breast.  Not the exact same, obviously, but close.  If he gets lots of milk very easily, and then your breast doesn't work the same,  he could reject the breast.  It's called flow preference.

Quoting jya1124:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)