Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Refusing breastmilk.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:33 AM
  • 11 Replies

DD is 11 months old today. She has started to refuse breastmilk bottles at daycare. She still nurses with me, but doesn't want bottles. We tried breastmilk in a sippy, but she wasn't that interested. DH wants to start milk. I have a message in to her Dr. I hope she's not weaning, but it will be nice to not pump.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM

If she still nurses, but doesn't want milk in a cup or bottle, then she's not weaning. She's just a stubborn butt.

lol

Daycare could always give her diluted juice or water in lieu of milk. No sense in wasting breastmilk, you know?

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Maybe try a straw cup?  How is she with solids?  Maybe focus her meals at daycare on solids and water and nurse on demand when you're together.  You'll still want to pump, though, when you're away from her so that you keep your supply up (if you're away from her for more than a few hours.)

Also, cow's milk is a no-no until 12 months.  It doesn't have the nutrients needed by a child younger than 12 months.  Even if they're eating solids. 

deccaf
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Solids are great.  She recently refused the 3rd stage baby food in favor of feeding herself.  Spoon use is almost natural to her.  First time made it to her mouth.  I have provided daycare with juice starting today, with instructions on level of dilution, as well as sippy cups of 2 different types.  She has never used a straw cup, but we have one we will be trying with her. 

Would cutting back to pumping once a day still work to keep supply if she isn't using it during the day?  I currently pump 3x per day.

Char07
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM

This, she's not weaning, just knows she can hold out and get it straight from you.  When I have to leave my dd she gets water in a sippy and some solids.  I wouldn't give cows milk yet even if the pedi approves it (lots like to give bad feeding advice and recommend cows milk too early)

Quoting LKRA:

If she still nurses, but doesn't want milk in a cup or bottle, then she's not weaning. She's just a stubborn butt.

lol

Daycare could always give her diluted juice or water in lieu of milk. No sense in wasting breastmilk, you know?

FLmommy0204
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM

How much food is day care feeding her?  If they are giving foods first, she may fill up on them and not wanting the milk.  Or maybe she'd be more interested in water or juice. 

milk is fine as long as your are still nursing.  Nothing magic happens at 1 year that makes them able to drink the milk.  I introduced milk at 11.5 months. 

LKRA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Go from pumping 3x a day to 2x a day. Stretch it out over a week. You want to gently wean from the pump to avoid engorgement. Then, after a week, drop it down to 1x a day.

Quoting deccaf:

Solids are great.  She recently refused the 3rd stage baby food in favor of feeding herself.  Spoon use is almost natural to her.  First time made it to her mouth.  I have provided daycare with juice starting today, with instructions on level of dilution, as well as sippy cups of 2 different types.  She has never used a straw cup, but we have one we will be trying with her. 

Would cutting back to pumping once a day still work to keep supply if she isn't using it during the day?  I currently pump 3x per day.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM

This.  :)

Quoting LKRA:

Go from pumping 3x a day to 2x a day. Stretch it out over a week. You want to gently wean from the pump to avoid engorgement. Then, after a week, drop it down to 1x a day.

Quoting deccaf:

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM
She has decided to reverse cycle. That's fine! She will get all of the milk needed while with you. She doesn't even need juice. I would just give water. Take LKRA's advice on weaning from pumping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I just realized I won't be able to stop pumping.  As long as she will take a bottle from Daddy, I will have to have milk for the nights I am in school.  Guess PISA and I will remain friends for a while.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:34 PM
You can just get down to once a day to keep your pump response and quit that after she turns a year if you want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)